Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood vs Kamado Joe

Options
how does kamado joe compare to Rockwood lump? I’m in SoCal and have ordered Rockwood thru Ace. They have a 20 dollar off deal on Kamado Joe, same price but if you can save 20 bucks why not.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    At the discounted price, you should try.
    @20 dollars off a bag I would try almost any lump.
    My experience with the KJ lump was excellent.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I've got bags of both. They're both good. KJ frequently has a few ridiculously large pieces which might be fine if you have an XL or XXL but I always have to just break them into smaller pieces.

Buying KJ lump at one of the Costco KJ Roadshows is a really good deal but for $20 off I'd buy as many as I could..

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    fine print:

Save up to $20 on acehardware.com only!
    Receive $10 off $50 or $20 off $100 on your acehardware.com purchase valid from 12 a.m.-11:59 p.m. ET on 2/5/2018.......blah, blah, blah.........

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Receive $10 off $50 or $20 off $100 on your acehardware.com purchase valid from 12 a.m.-11:59 p.m. ET on 2/5/2018. Offer applies to merchandise subtotal. Tax and shipping and handling charges, including Express Delivery charges where available, will not be included in determining merchandise subtotal and are not discountable. Offer not available with any other offer or on previous purchases. Offer excludes sale and clearance items, Red Hot Buys, online only specials, Weber® branded products, Traeger branded products, Nest® branded products, ENO® branded products, YETI® coolers, select grills, power tools, power equipment, water heaters, and gift cards.

So, two bags (or four bags) for $21.99/bag plus tax.  Not a bad deal.  Give it a shot and decide for yourself.  Either way, make sure you enter your rewards number and get the points.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

So, two bags (or four bags) for $21.99/bag plus tax.  Not a bad deal.  Give it a shot and decide for yourself.  Either way, make sure you enter your rewards number and get the points.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    I have had good luck with KJ lump (picked up at the Costco roadshow) but as noted above, there are some very large pieces.  Easy to make smaller pieces from large ones so that's not an issue.  I mainly run Rockwood but have no issues with the KJ especially if you can get a decent deal.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I usually take advantage of the KJ Big Block from a Costco Roadshow. Chunks are huge and it takes longer to burn clean compared to RW. No issues besides that..

As far as which one is superior... RW
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    KJ bought online from Cabelas a week or two ago was around $9/bag, delivered.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    The last couple bags of Kamado Joe I've picked up have been disappointing. I'll get 4-5 pieces the size of a bowling ball and a few random pieces. Temps were inconsistent when doing low and slow last weekend with lump pieces that big. I have one more bag to go through. I know one of the three bags I picked up were off a different pallet from a different store. If all three bags end up being similar sized lump I'll stick with Rockwood. Never had an issue with Kamado Joe in the past. The last two bags have been a pass. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @WeberWho - I'm with you regarding over-sized pieces of lump especially for L&S cooks.  I always take a hammer to the really big pieces even when only looking for BTU's on a hot and fast.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Just have it shipped to you, this seems to take care of the big chunks.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Isn't KJ out of South America, maybe Argentina? Another reason to buy made in America.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @WeberWho - I'm with you regarding over-sized pieces of lump especially for L&S cooks.  I always take a hammer to the really big pieces even when only looking for BTU's on a hot and fast.  
    Crazy what they let pass as acceptable sizes. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Legume said:
    Just have it shipped to you, this seems to take care of the big chunks.
    I think you're onto something...

Minnesota
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    What is kJ clean burning lump? How many kinds of kJ lump are there?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I’ve tried both. KJ was okay but I prefer Rockwood. Also, it’s easier for me to get RW locally. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rockwood.
    It is hard enough to cook over high heat, holding a Texas mule, while doing so. Add the ridiculous amount of sparking to the equation, (which seems to be minimal with rockwood) which I have experienced with KJ, makes it too much like work.
    I am too lazy to deal with that.
    Rockwood.
    No problems, clean burn, consistant excellent results. The lazy man's best tool for outstanding Q.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bradleya123
    Options
    KJ all day long!!  I buy 8 bags everytime the road show is at the local Costco.  Great price and its awesome.  IMHO!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Tspud1
    Options
    KJ all day long!!  I buy 8 bags everytime the road show is at the local Costco.  Great price and its awesome.  IMHO!!

When was last time you used Rockwood?

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I just missed a KJ trade show, but I plan on having some RW now ordered to give it a try.

My local ace is good about once the lump is ordered a few times they will stock it after that. 
  • CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Options
    Tspud1 said:

When was last time you used Rockwood?

The day before he got hired to work at KJ  ;)

Just kidding @bradleya123
  • lousubcap
    Options
    As if I don't need to reload with Rockwood, I will again (see below link):  (I believe I have finally succumbed to the SWMBO statement- look how much I saved today...  But she's not talking Q necessities  =) )

"We'll be running a sale on Rockwood Charcoal this weekend in our web store.  The sale will be active now through Monday 2/12 @ noon CST.  10% off on charcoal using code VALDAY10 or by clicking the link below.

• Hans61
    Options
    What about KJ lump versus BGE lump?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Tspud1
    Options
    lousubcap said:c
    As if I don't need to reload with Rockwood, I will again (see below link):  (I believe I have finally succumbed to the SWMBO statement- look how much I saved today...  But she's not talking Q necessities  =) )

"We'll be running a sale on Rockwood Charcoal this weekend in our web store.  The sale will be active now through Monday 2/12 @ noon CST.  10% off on charcoal using code VALDAY10 or by clicking the link below.

Is the link a sale direct from Rockwood? 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    lousubcap said:c

Is the link a sale direct from Rockwood? 

Yes, it's our online store.  We don't have the subdomain in place yet, so that's why the "myshopify" is still in there.