Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Wings for the 1st time

Options
Here goes the first time for me on the for chicken wings...temp regulated @ 290ish good smoke rolling out after about 35minutes put them on shortly after .... going to flip them after 25 mins or so....fingers crossed
 Atlanta Ga.

Large EGG, AR

Comments

• jasonmiller324
    Options
    EGG

Atlanta Ga.

Large EGG, AR
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I like high temps for wings. 425 indirect. 375 raised direct. No idea on timing. Just watch them.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    You will love them regardless, assuming you don't go to sleep. Happy egging.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Are you going direct or indirect?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jasonmiller324
    Options
    2 hours smoked finished off in the air fryer tossed in Franks Buffalo Sauce/whole stick unsalted melted butter. Pretty darn tasty. I will be doing these again
     Atlanta Ga.

Large EGG, AR
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    And there you go sneakin in the air fryer.  Nice!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • distanceman
    Options
    I like high temps for wings. 425 indirect. 375 raised direct. No idea on timing. Just watch them.
    Yeah I'm a fan of the higher heat indirect also. I flip about 25 mins each side and watch them after about 45 mins. So good! 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • baychilla
    Options
    I think the air fryer finish negates the need for a higher initial cooking temp.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • jasonmiller324
    Options
    The wings were really good... I now have my AR  :D I will do them next time at a higher temp with the confidence of getting a crisp on the skin after the smoking is done. Thanks for the tips =)  
     Atlanta Ga.

Large EGG, AR
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't know the clean-up necessary with the air-fryer but if I ever thought cooking wings would require more than one device I would walk away.  
    Experiment with indirect or raised direct and see where you land.  Give the search function here a look as wing threads are everywhere.  After several years of eggsperimentation I have landed on very raised direct running around 375 (+/-) on the dome.
    Key to crisp skin is a good 12-24 hour air dry in the fridge and/or dusting with corn starch before the cook.  Just one way to get there.
    BTW- welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    You will learn that there are about as many ways to achieve a great cook result as there are posters here.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.