Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs, ribs,ribs, Super Bowl

Options
Steve76
Steve76 Posts: 60
OK, so I've had my share of successes and failures in the last 2-1/2 years cooking on the egg... So, smoking a batch of ribs today for the Super Bowl... Did a little "redneck engineering" and fished the Flameboss grid temp probe through the Stainless Steel daisy wheel replacement, down into the dome, clipping it to the BGE thermometer probe.  Set the temp for 238 degrees, and let her rip...  The last 2 hours the temp has varied less than 2 degrees, and I'm happy, cooking with dome temp rather than grid temp, and watching it on my phone, rather than standing out in the rain!!
Lutz, FL (next to the swamp), LBGE, Pizza stone, Egg Handler, Flame boss 300, Thermapen, Kick Ash basket &  Webber Summit for odds and ends and short, or "honey do", cooks!  

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Sounds like you have it under control. Technology really makes it easier, particularity when the weather is bad.
  • Steve76
    Options
    Yeah, love the tech stuff. Not using the meat probe... Kinda hard to do on ribs. Think I'll use the toothpick method at about five hours.
    Lutz, FL (next to the swamp), LBGE, Pizza stone, Egg Handler, Flame boss 300, Thermapen, Kick Ash basket &  Webber Summit for odds and ends and short, or "honey do", cooks!  
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    GregW said:
    Sounds like you have it under control. Technology really makes it easier, particularity when the weather is bad.
    Tech. Is good but I'm curious. I have had my lg for 8yrs. And never used anything other than a wireless remote meat thermometer for long cooks.

My egg has never messed up a brisket, butt, or any large cut of meat. 

So if the egg is designed to do what it do, why do people use fan blowers, grid temps,etc?

I've never considered that the egg needed help. No offense to each his own. I'm just curious.
  • baychilla
    Options
    I use a blower because I've had a few I think the term is circular burn outs where the fire extinguishes itself (there was some odd looking device that resembled a tree that you could buy that was supposed to resolved this issue as well).  Also being able to get "work" done while keeping an eye on the cook is a good thing.  
    Near San Francisco in California