Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt for the game - going to fast

Options
I started my 4.5 pound boneless butt at 10:00am at 350 dome and it's only been 3 hours and IT is already 188. So I foiled it and lowered the dome a bit. PLan to eat around 5:00pm. At this rate, it will be finished by 1:30 or 2:00. I was expecting a 5-6 hour cook. I will pull it when it probes like butter but assuming that is within the next hour, will it be ok to FTC until 5:00 PM? So about 3 hour FTC?
Large BGE - 2017
PSWoo with extention
Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Yup. It's fine
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• run53
    run53 Posts: 121
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thanks Colts.....This is my first Butt on the Egg so just not 100% confident and I have a few folks coming for the game so don't want to mess it up
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • run53
    edited February 2018
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Wrapping it in foil while cooking is going to make it cook faster FWIW.
    Well.....you learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip.......perhaps I should unwrapp then. The bark is only mediocre anyways. COuld use some more
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • run53
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Took the foil off and re-probed in a different spot and it's only 181 IT. So probably a false alarm. It was foiled for only about 15 minutes and there was tons of juice in there when I removed it. Is it better to finish the cook unfoiled? Like I said, the bark is only mediocre.
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2018
    Options
    run53 said:
    Took the foil off and re-probed in a different spot and it's only 181 IT. So probably a false alarm. It was foiled for only about 15 minutes and there was tons of juice in there when I removed it. Is it better to finish the cook unfoiled? Like I said, the bark is only mediocre.

Yes, definitely better to go without the foil in this case since it is running ahead of schedule and you mentioned the bark isn't formed to your liking yet. I would take it to the finish line without foil, then FTC once it is finished to keep it warm.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Also when you feel it is done around 200-205 internal temp of the meat, take the butt and let it rest for 10-15 minutes and then FTC it. The rest makes it much easier to pull afterwards.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • run53
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Appreciate the tips folks.....one question though....what is the purpose of foiling at 160-170 range? Is it only to prevent an overdone bark?
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If it finishes early, then FTC and pull when it's time to eat. You can safely FTC for several hours. But you don't NEED to rest a butt unless it's done early. Some claim resting makes it better. I'm not one of them. Doesn't hurt though.

Hard to mess up a butt You'll be fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    run53 said:
    Appreciate the tips folks.....one question though....what is the purpose of foiling at 160-170 range? Is it only to prevent an overdone bark?
    One reason to foil is it does actually speed up the cook, so it is useful if you are running behind schedule. Some people advocate always foiling the butt around 160-170 to help retain moisture. I think most people will agree that cooking pork butts on an egg this is just not really necessary. It will be plenty juicy cooking it without the foil. I think you are also correct that some people do it to prevent the bark from getting too dark. I think this is honestly more of an appearance thing. I knew someone that did competitions and he would foil to try to keep the bark a mahogany color for comps, but he didn't bother foiling when just cooking at home.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• run53
    Options
    Pulled at IT  of 205 and buttah like probes for a total of 5 hours. In FTC now waiting for the big game.

Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    run53 said:
    Dunno, I've never foiled a butt. Or anything else for that matter.

Congrats on the cook. Sounds like perfect timing!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Good job. Try making this mustard sauce with your reclaimed time:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1210481/mustard-finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork
    Mountain View, CA
  • run53
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I already made the Mixon vinegar sauce but I think it's a good idea to have 2 of them and let the guests choose. I'm on it right now  =)

Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass