Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first overnighter...

Options
JacksDad
JacksDad Posts: 538
Family birthday party at 2pm tomorrow, before the super bowl. I don't mind turbo'ing stuff, but even if I woke up pretty early, it would be hard to get this 14 lb prime brisket done in time to have a little rest before the party. So, I'm up at 2 am, smelling up the neighborhood! 

Gonna wait a little while, make sure my FB200 has things under nice steady control, then off to catch a few hours sleep...

Simple salt and pepper rub, over Rockwood with apple and mesquite wood chunks. I'll post pics when it's done... Thanks for looking! 
Large BGE -- New Jersey

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    What time shall I show up?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Man you better hurry!  14 pounds in 12 hours is tight if you're planning to rest it.  You may need to wrap in butcher paper or foil and crank up the temp.

Looks awesome though!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • JacksDad
    Options
    For some reason, the last couple of prime packers I have done go pretty fast. I'm almost to 200 in the flat and it's 10am, so I'll be okay... Some parts still probing a little tough. Going to rest in a warm oven soon. 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @JacksDad. What do you consider a warm oven?  170F, 190F?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • JacksDad
    Options
    Mine goes to lowest of 170. 

I am by no means an expert (at all) at this brisket stuff, but it's what I've been doing lately and it works for me. I take it off, give it a rest, then wrap tightly in multiple layers of foil, and into the oven until serving. I don't have a huge cooler handy to do a proper FTC. And it makes the house smell incredible! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad
    Options
    Turned out great! Served with small rolls (for people to make their own sliders), and mashed potatoes (also cooked on my egg). 

I gotta say, though, that the overnight bit was harder than I expected, even with the FB. I kept worrying I was going to burn the house down. 

Happy Super Bowl Sunday everyone...

Large BGE -- New Jersey