Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Challenger, Nest or Custom Table

I’ve has my XL for about a month now and when I bought it I purchased the table nest with it. My original plan was to build a table for it, I saw pictures people had posted with their eggs in custom wood tables and thought that would be the way to go. After doing some more research it seems people have quite a few issues with custom wood tables and them catching, makes sense. I thought this problem would be alleviated some due to the insulation properties of the BGE. Now I’m having trouble deciding whether or not I want to build a custom table, buy the traditional nest and put a table near it, or buy a challenger table (or something to that effect). If I do the challenger I’m going to have to wait a while due to price tag, but the nest or custom table I could do relatively soon. I’m curious what other people think, is the classic nest really that bad? Do people with custom wood tables have that many issues or is it just individuals mis-using the BGE that lead to those accidents? Or should I just wait and get the challenger?

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

My vote is classic nest, and rolling tables.  This way you can re position as you add / switch grills and cooking layout.  I say this as someone who has the tools and ability to make an egg table.
    Phoenix 
  • @blasting that’s kind of what I was thinking. Then if something breaks I’m not replacing a whole setup, just some accessories here and there.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I have a nest and a big aluminum table next to it from Costco - it was like $100 and it's 48" X 24"
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I don't want to jinx any of us wooden table guys by saying this, but my large and small eggs sit in my wooden table that I made for them 18 years ago and I've never had an issue. I think only you can assess the fire threat based on where your egg will be sitting. Granted a metal table will not burn, but waiting a while to save money for a Cadillac when a Focus can get you to the store just as well...you get my point?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    RRP said:
    I don't want to jinx any of us wooden table guys by saying this, but my large and small eggs sit in my wooden table that I made for them 18 years ago and I've never had an issue. I think only you can assess the fire threat based on where your egg will be sitting. Granted a metal table will not burn, but waiting a while to save money for a Cadillac when a Focus can get you to the store just as well...you get my point?
    You could dress up the wooden table with some nice features and save for something down the road
  • I have a fairly simple cedar table and it is perfect for my purposes. Having said that, when it comes time to replace I will definitely check out some stainless options.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Nest and mates. If you need more space get a stainless table. I have had multiple tables and my XL is currently in a nest that I got when I took it out of the last table. I don’t even have mates I got a 36” blackstone griddle and use that counter space when I need it. I had a wood table catch fire about 7 years ago I did a pizza cook and shut it down and a couple hours later my wife got up to go to the bathroom and luckily saw the flames and asked me why the egg was still going. Still don’t know what happened but luckily just parts of the table burned and no real damage. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I vote for a nest and mates plus a side table. Easy to move if needed or to rearrange when she says to. =) Nest is fireproof too. I would prefer a wooden side table rather than stone or metal, just because I like wood. But it would require more maintenance, or a preference for a rustic, weathered look.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2 years ago I built what I thought was my ideal or dream set up based on my needs . since then I added a Blackstone and a small egg which do not not fit into the current design. Adding on and  making it look nice would be a lot of extra work and money. In some ways I wish I would have a  more portable custom table design. Mine is made out of tube steel with no wood . Probably  an overkill, but it won't burn down
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • I started with a nest, then built my own wooden table from the Naked Whiz's plans. Pretty happy with it until I saw the Challenger table a friend had.

Bought my Challenger nearly four years ago and couldn't be happier with it. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
     XL takes a big bite of usable table space.  Nest + separate table, you’ll get more out of the table as well as better future flexibility.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    I use XL in nest with side table and like it much better than son-in-law's XL in BGE table
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited February 2018
    I used one of these for a long time next to my table, kept it in the garage and rolled it out when needed.  drawers are handy, add a work top however you like.  about $150 all in.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Thanks for all the input so far, definitely giving me some ideas. I’m attracted to all of the options and can see benefits to each one. After reading some of the comments I think I’m going to start with a nest and just some nice tables to go with it. Mostly because I’m already a huge fan of my egg, and talking about buying a smaller one along with a MM for camping. Going that route buys me time to get the other eggs, along with a black stone if I want, and build a table exactly to what I need instead of adding on later. Or purchasing what I need, one time buy (hopefully).
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    kingsmoke said:
    2 years ago I built what I thought was my ideal or dream set up based on my needs . since then I added a Blackstone and a small egg which do not not fit into the current design. Adding on and  making it look nice would be a lot of extra work and money. In some ways I wish I would have a  more portable custom table design. Mine is made out of tube steel with no wood . Probably  an overkill, but it won't burn down

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    I had a cedar table with my first egg, built a second table when I got my second egg.  I had the egg in a nest while I was working on my second table and even with the side table I didn't like it. if you use a table nest with a wooden table it greatly reduces any risk of fire, just don't sit your egg on a paver and you'll be fine.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!