Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak fizzle

Options
All night brisket cook burned out. I usually remember to use fancy lump for all night cooks. A few scotches and to few big chunks... I woke up to ashy embers and a nearly frozen water tray. Blarg. The brisket was at 170ish so I’ll chalk it up to a super long stall. Hopefully it’s not ruined. 

Comments

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    If your brisket IT is 170ish, it will be fine. How do you plan on finishing it? If starting a new fire in the egg remember to burn off the VOC's before putting the meat back on. Good luck.

XL BGE
    MD
  • MrA46221
    Options
    That’s what I did. Dumped in lump, let it burn off, and back in business. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    It's fine.  If it was still 170 and the water pan was frozen, that doesn't make much sense though.  Seems like the fire didn't go out too long ago if it's still 170.  Fire it back up and egg on, or just wrap it and throw it in the oven if you want to make it easy.

Probably didn't have anything to do with the lump either.  How long did you go and how much was in the egg?  The fire can go out on low and slows with anyone's lump.  Wind is a big factor too.  If the wind stopped, started, or changed overnight that can mess with the intake and exhaust.  

Stuff happens.....that's all.  Get yourself a remote monitor or a flameboss if you don't want to babysit it.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I run RO on all nighters. Without a controller. Sounds like other circumstances. 
  • MrA46221
    Options
    It was just not enough lump and the pieces I had were to little. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    MrA46221 said:
    It was just not enough lump and the pieces I had were to little. 
    Size doesn't matter on the burn time as long as you're metering the air......unless the funnel down and choke the airflow.  But BTU/# is constant and the only way to get rid of those BTU s faster is to convert them to heat.....thus higher temps.

Sounds like you just ran out.  Cold night so it takes a little more to maintain temp inside, heat the air coming in, plus that water pan is sucking BTUs too.  Load it up to the top every time just to be safe.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    I'd toss it in the oven and finish it....sounds like you did not have enough fuel
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    With regard to the fuel load, you can load right up to the top of the fire ring to ensure you get those extended duration cook-times.  BTW loading from the top of the fire box to the top of ring nets you about double the available lump. Since you won't burn it all on any one cook, just stir the remaining around (clear the air holes) prior to the next one and reload.  
    About the only thing to be aware of is that the already used lump will have fewer BTU's per lb than the new stuff.  But no VOC's...  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    lousubcap said:

already used lump will have fewer BTU's per lb than the new stuff.
    Same BTU's per pound.  Carbon is carbon......weighs the same, burns the same.

It will have less BTU's by volume though.  It will heat up a lot faster because there is so much surface area, but there's not as much to burn.
  • MrA46221
    Options
    All said and done... I enjoyed a moist fatty brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    My invite got lost in the ether.  Great result right there.  Way to power it home!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.