Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Question

Options
g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025
Having a pre super bowl get together Saturday around 1-2 pm and MIL wants pulled pork sliders and the pulled pork dish @tarheelmatt just posted. Need some advice. Do I put the butt on this evening around 6-7 pm after i get home from work and let it cook overnight and FTC until dinner time on Saturday and maybe just reheat it up or do I get up at 5-6 am on Saturday morning and try to do a turbo style and hopefully have it done by 1-2 pm on Saturday evening? It’s know it’s not going to match up perfect with the time just wondering what you guys would do in this situation? Thanks 

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I would stay up until midnight, light egg at 11, butt on at midnight and wake up and let her finish in am. FYC around 10-11am
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I would go Turbo with the 5am start time.  Get her going and stable in the low 300s, grab a one hour nap, get up and check on her.  My turbos of 9-11 pound butts average 8 hours. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    What size is your butt?  I haven’t had great results going turbo with 8+ pounders, so if it’s that large I’d run overnight.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• g8golfer
    Options
    I haven’t got it yet but I’m going to pick it up today and I’m going to say it will be 10-12 pound range. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    In this situation I would go overnight just like Chubbs said. It should put you right in the FTC window. 

I would do at least two 9-10 lb butts though and freeze leftovers, then next time you have a hankering for pulled pork nachos you only need to reheat a bag of pork in simmering water or sous vide. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I prefer the staying up and putting it on at midnight method.  That way you wont feel rushed in the morning or the next day to hurry up and finish it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Overnight it. No need to feel rushed. At least for me, butts have been taking longer than expected with briskets being the opposite. 
  • g8golfer
    Options
    Thanks guys sounds good and I think I’m going to go with @SmokeyPitt and do 2 butts and freeze leftovers. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,344
    Options
    If you don't run with a controller I would light the BGE a good two hours ahead of when you want to start the cook.  Make sure you are good and stable before loading up the pork for the over-night cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    210F 1.5 hr per lb.  If its stalled 3 hrs before eating time wrap it amd crank heat up to 275
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @westernbbq are you really smoking the butts at 210?? That's gotta take way longer than 1.5 hours per pound...  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    I prefer the staying up and putting it on at midnight method.  That way you wont feel rushed in the morning or the next day to hurry up and finish it.
    I second that!!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    @westernbbq are you really smoking the butts at 210?? That's gotta take way longer than 1.5 hours per pound...  
    I do briskys and bone in shoulders at 210....1.5 hr per lb.  I do wrap them with 3 hr left to cook and of meat probes at 165, ill crank upnthe egg to 275
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    In this situation I generally start it at a convenient time for me at the lowest temp that is achievable and safe. I wake up in the morning and adjust it all to the finish line.
  • g8golfer
    Options
    Butt is done. Now it’s off to FTC. Let’s says dinner starts at 5-6 instead of 1-2. Couldnt i just reheat the pork in the SV? @lousubcap @DoubleEgger
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Butt is done. Now it’s off to FTC. Let’s says dinner starts at 5-6 instead of 1-2. Couldnt i just reheat the pork in the SV? @lousubcap @DoubleEgger
    Of course you can do that. I’d still FTP for 3-4 hours. I’ve also held all day alternating between FTC and the oven on lowest setting to keep the bark intact. 
  • g8golfer
    Options
    Ok. I FTC at 8am this morning. Dinner is at 1-2 now just trying to keep it fresh as possible. I might toss in the oven at around 1 like you said on the lowest temp. Thanks 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    Ok. I FTC at 8am this morning. Dinner is at 1-2 now just trying to keep it fresh as possible. I might toss in the oven at around 1 like you said on the lowest temp. Thanks 
     I think you’d be better off to put it in the oven earlier and let it rest again before pulling it. 
  • g8golfer
    Options
    g8golfer said:
     I think you’d be better off to put it in the oven earlier and let it rest again before pulling it. 
    Ok sounds good. When I put in the oven do I leave it wrapped in the aluminum foil or not? 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    g8golfer said:
    Ok sounds good. When I put in the oven do I leave it wrapped in the aluminum foil or not? 
    Personally I’d leave it wrapped and would spritz it to keep it moist. 
  • g8golfer
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    g8golfer said:
    Personally I’d leave it wrapped and would spritz it to keep it moist. 
    Ok perfect 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Well... how’d it turn out? 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Standing by for results myself

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • g8golfer
    Options
    FTC for 6 hours and it turned out great. I was going to put in the oven but I checked it every could hours in the cooler and it was still hot like I had just took off the egg.