Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best barbecue in Santa Fe NM?

Options
Hi all.  I have a good friend (and fellow egger, not online) who is visiting Santa Fe.  I told him I would check with the Egghead community on where he can get the best grub in Santa Fe.  Any suggestions?
Toronto ON

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Forget the Q, Santa Fe has some serious eats. Fill you in this evening. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I agree with @GrillSgt - focus on the food the area is known for.  I think going to Santa Fe for BBQ would be like going to Lockhart for sushi - setting yourself up for disappointment.

I only had one day there this past summer, but I think he definitely needs to do breakfast at Tia Sophia's.  We also had great margaritas and good food at Los Magueyes.  I'm sure others will chime in later to add additional suggestions.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GrillSgt
    Options
    I highly recommend the Hotel St. Francis for its charm but no matter where you stay you have to try the Smoked Sage Margarita in their Secreto Lounge. One of the best cocktails I have ever had. The hotel also has an award winning restaurant Tabla de los Santos. Breakfast is killer, huevo Rancheros several ways. My favorite restaurant is La Boca, if you like wine they may have Sineann on the menu. Buy it. I have only seen it in a handful of restaurants. It isn’t overly expensive either. La Casa Sena, Cafe Pasqual. There are a ton of great places to eat, the competition is fierce so you won’t have a bad meal. One of my favorite places for a long weekend. Most people want to go to Taos, don’t know why, not much there. The Pueblo village is quite impressive though. 
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    If you’re flying into Albuquerque take the backroad Hwy 14, scenic drive. Eat at San Marcos Feed Store. 
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Thanks to both of you...good idea and I have passed it on.
    Toronto ON
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Not bbq but Maria’s New Mexican Kitchen, The Compound (Canyon Rd) The Shed (by the Plaza)
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Second the compound- 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Check out La Fonda for ambiance.  Also if there on a Sunday visit the natives on the plaza selling their wares. If he ges to Abqq take the tram ride up the mountain.Santa Fe is for chili not BBQ. Get some good sopapillas.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Sushi in Lockhart just made me gag a little bit.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    edited February 2018
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    If you’re flying into Albuquerque take the backroad Hwy 14, scenic drive. Eat at San Marcos Feed Store. 
    This. I can’t speak to the Feed Store, but the drive is beautiful. Most importantly, while in Madrid, stop in the chocolate shop. Trust me. There’s a reason it is the #1 rated thing to do in that area. 

Oh yeah, the elk tenderloin at Geronimo in Santa Fe is outstanding. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    The Pink Adobe. Sink a drink at the Pink!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX