Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best (Most Useful?) Cookbook(s)

Options
So there have been a couple of threads recently concerning cookbooks.  I don't have a BBQ/Smoking cookbook and these threads got me to thinking - what would be a good one to start with?  Now, I've been Webering all my life and started Egging 2 years ago.  But, outside of a Sunset grilling cookbook, I've tended to make things up as I go, or steal from forums like this.

So... what is your most-used or best-liked cookbook for all things Egg?

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
XL BGE, Woo2, AR

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

IDK, man.  what does better mean when it comes to a cookbook?  Techniques, recipes, theory, etc?

The best blend is probably Meathead's book.

I think Serious barbecue by Adam Perry Lang is pretty solid in the recipe department.

Franklin's book is a cool read on bbq theory

The Flavor Bible is pretty cool when used in recipe creation.

Good luck.  Looking forward to seeing your cooks.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I agree with starting with Meathead's book - Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I'll offer my philosophy... I forget about recipes "for the egg". The egg is an oven; is a grill; is a smoker; is a smoker/oven..., depending on how you set it up. The books that have elevated my cooking are:
    Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat
    The Science of Good Cooking
    The Food Lab
    Tartine Bread
    The Feast of Santa Fe because I like southwestern cuisine.

I look for recipes on pinterest. I keep a moleskine journal with lessons learned and recipes of my own that the family enjoys. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Try SALT, FAT, ACID HEAT  and meatheads      the SALT FAT ACID HEAT book will teach how to use ingredients to get great flavors and meatheads will talk about BBQ techniques and etc.  Am looking at the Adam Perry Lang  book to get now.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions in this thread from last year:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1209239/ot-your-favorite-food-books/p1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SciAggie
    & Open Crumb Mastery :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,768
    Options
    i have a few bbq books, not sure how much i learned from them and quickly got set in my ways. i like the ones outside the box, thai food, chinese, bread making, french bistro, charcuterie etc. lots of stuff out there for the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @SciAggie
    & Open Crumb Mastery :smiley:
    Yes. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    i also recommend 'smoke it like a pro.'  it covers a lot of ceramic cooker basics, and basic recipes. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Delve into something specific. Bread making, sausage making, desserts, etc. 
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    thanks, everyone.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Chili Pepper magazine is my favorite source. This forum is my favorite online source though.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    My wife's boss was interested in purchasing a BGE a few years ago. This book came home with my wife yesterday. He went with a gasser. Not sure if I'll ever even open it up to be honest. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited January 2018
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    My wife's boss was interested in purchasing a BGE a few years ago. This book came home with my wife yesterday. He went with a gasser. Not sure if I'll ever even open it up to be honest. 

You are missing out if you toss it aside. I’ve cooked a decent amount of stuff from it and it’s all been excellent. The recipes are fairly involved though. The stuffed mushroom recipe was a Butt Blast and Lakefest favorite. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    www.google.com

For real, not being a smart asz. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,768
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    www.google.com

For real, not being a smart asz. 
    i tend to start with google images as my go to source and go from there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The Southen Living Cookbook. I seldom follow the recipes....but find it as great resource for researching ingredients. I take the quantities as a suggestion. The only time i really follow exact measurements is in baking.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm not much on cookbooks. I generally just search the web for recipes that sound (or better yet, LOOK) good. You might try Foodgawker. Search for whatever, click on one that looks appetizing and it'll take you to the recipe.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I do more recipes from Cook's Illustrated (and their website) than any other single source. I read them cover to cover every month and try at least 3-4 of their recipes, with many becoming staples.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I concur with the recommendations on Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. very informative.  APL's book is great although the recipes tend to be complex.  And my go to for non BGE cooks is Allrecipes.com .  Look for highly rated ones.  Sure bets. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I collect old cookbooks and I alway find something  that translate easily to the egg.  My favorite web/youtube sites are Kenji, Food Wishes, Tasty, Hester Blumenthal and Gordon Ramsay and lately the Mobile Home Gourmet.  Patti Jinich (Mexican), Homesick Texas (TexMex) and Cocina by Lizzy and other latin sites for Mexican/Spanish foods (do have to understand spanish for some of these sites).
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I like many others rarely cook by a cookbook recipe, but I do use them for inspiration. I can recommend Cooks Illustrated (mentioned above) as a good source for learning the whys and not just the whats. Tom Colicchio's Think Like A Chef was helpful to me in creating my own dishes. My wife and many people swear by The Pioneer Woman. I can tell you everything I've had from her you could tell that the recipe was well tested. Also look for the original Silver Palate cookbook. A lot of great, well tested recipes in there.

When looking to adapt a recipe to the egg ask yourself if the egg will make it better first.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    "Stir fry to the sky's edge" is a go to for me. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN