Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electronic Fan Replacement Question/Help - PartyQ

I'm wondering if someone would be able to help me out and tell me what I have and what I might need. 

My DigiQ PartyQ apparently went to crap again while smoking some butts this afternoon. My guess is that the fan must have picked up some moisture during the cook as the fan sounds like crap now when powered on. I've sent the unit in once already under warranty and they charged me $50. They said I must have left it outside when it was raining and it wasn't covered under warranty. Which was completed BS. (I don't even leave my eggs outside in the rain) I don't plan on sending it back into warranty after the last crap they did. So I'm hoping to replace the fan myself. I don't think it will be super complicated switching out the old one for a new one. I'm just hoping it's a common size fan and won't be too much of a hassle. 

So I'm hoping someone might know what they are looking at with the picture below. I tried looking around the EZ.FAN website but I didn't see anything with the numbers on the fan. I also emailed them but I don't know if I'll hear anything back.

Thanks for any tips and help. Much appreciated!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Wish I could help...

I swear my digiQ must be like a freak or something. I have ABSOLUTELY left it in the rain. It lives outside under a high roof, thrown into a cabinet that's not really weather sealed, and scratches when it turns. But after 3 years it still runs great!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited January 2018
    Looks very similar to the fan I pulled out of my Flame Boss 200.
    I still have it at my office. I will take a closer look tomorrow. It was common and cheap.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Totally unrelated, but the fans in my Directv receiver's stop working often. On my fans I have a port under the tag that I can open and drop in a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil. So far that has solved my problem for a few months at the time. 

Your fan may not be designed for that though.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks very similar to the fan I pulled out of my Flame Boss 200.
    I still have it at my office. I will take a closer look tomorrow. It was common and cheap.

@Photo Egg Thanks. I picked up a DigiQ a few years for $25 minus the fan. I just recently found a replacement fan online a few months ago. It looks very similar to what I need but it's close to double the size of the replacement I would need. I emailed EZ Fan and they said they don't sell to the public. They said to email BBQ Guru. I emailed BBQ Guru and they gave me some generic questions about the issue. Still waiting to hear if I can buy a fan from them. Probably doubtful but fingers crossed.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Totally unrelated, but the fans in my Directv receiver's stop working often. On my fans I have a port under the tag that I can open and drop in a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil. So far that has solved my problem for a few months at the time. 

Your fan may not be designed for that though.  
    @johnkitchens I'm almost positive the moisture from the wood chunks in the egg caused a build up in the fan and messed it up. I wonder if I oiled it if it would help. What do you use for oil? Thanks! 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Wish I could help...

I swear my digiQ must be like a freak or something. I have ABSOLUTELY left it in the rain. It lives outside under a high roof, thrown into a cabinet that's not really weather sealed, and scratches when it turns. But after 3 years it still runs great!
    I haven't really come across any people that have disliked their DigiQ or have had issues with them. I bought one used a few years ago and never had an issue. I've maybe used the PartyQ 8-10 times and now has been broken down twice. Not a good track record so far

Minnesota
  • johnkitchens
    This is what I use.

• johnkitchens
    Be sure you have a port that you can remove and place the oil. Your fan may not offer that. Mine is under the paper tag. I peel it back, and I have a plastic cover that I can remove using a needle or very thin knife point. When I pry the plastic cover off I can see the internals of the fan. 1 or 2 drops in there gets me going for at a minimum 3 or more months. 

I finally found replacement fans, but they are in China. I ordered them yesterday. I know mine will eventually die. 

• Photo Egg
    edited January 2018
    The Ebay fan below I think will fit my FB. It's 50mm by 50mm(2"x2") and diagonal hole is 58mm ( 2 1/8")

Here are a couple photo of old Flame Boss Fan. One side of fan was molded thin and chracked super easy. FB replaced it at no charge. They are cheap *ss fans but they all made this way.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6PCS-DC-12V-BBQ-Fan-Mute-Blower-1-8CFM-for-Smoke-Mountain-Barbecue-stove/391957726456?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=49924&meid=691de19e24394371967b150f2dc77362&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=253182884787&itm=391957726456&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    You can find almost any fan here.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=bfb0512
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    Thanks a ton! @Photo Egg Those pictures are perfect. Thanks for those. I'm going to measure the fan tonight after work and hopefully have a match. 

Minnesota
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Photo Egg said:
    Digi Key is great, I remember getting their catalog back in the early '90s.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • WeberWho
    @Photo Egg We have a match! Thanks again for the help!

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    WeberWho said:

Hope you are able to find a replacement.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    Photo Egg said:
    WeberWho said:

Hope you are able to find a replacement.
    I've been in talks with BBQ Guru and they are going to send me a prepaid shipping box for warranty. If they try charging me more than $10 for a fan I'll have them send the controller back. I'll also buy the fan that you linked on Ebay coming from China. Even if it takes a month or two to show up at the front door. If warranty works or doesn't work it will take 2-3 weeks for them with everything. So waiting on the fan will be no biggie. I'll be able to use a different controller in the meantime. If BBQ Guru won't fix it I should be able do it when I get it back. I should be in good shape either way. I'm hoping so anyways...

Minnesota
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Just a note... the fan in the BBQ Guru is 5V, the substitute is?? (12V)... Not sure if that will make any difference...
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• WeberWho
    Just a note... the fan in the BBQ Guru is 5V, the substitute is?? (12V)... Not sure if that will make any difference...
    That's a good point. I think it might still work? I've come across a few other posts asking similar questions on their laptop. Most said it wouldn't be an issue. I guess it depends how strong the magnet is in the fan when it starts to spin. This is why I know nothing about electronics.  :o

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Good news! I actually read the specifications of the fan on the ad:

It's sounds like it works with 5V. Whoo!

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    WeberWho said:
    Good news! I actually read the specifications of the fan on the ad:

It's sounds like it works with 5V. Whoo!
    Looks good. Fingers crosse for a cheap, easy fix.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Keep us updated... Sounds like you might have a WINNER!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Replacement fans ...i forgot manufacturer but i bought four fans for 60 bucks two years ago....just in case they needed replacement...they go right into the housing but the weakness is the soldered connection for power supply.   Digi q setup came with black and red  clad leads while manufacturer had black and black with grey design clad wires....if you disassemble the housing its easy to see which is positive amd which is negative

Works like a charm
  • WeberWho
    @westernbbq The PartyQ might get kind of ugly being a one piece unit. It is going to be sent off to warranty to see what they say about it. If stars align just right hopefully warranty will fix the issue. If they try charging me more than $10 I'll do it myself. It's the second time in 3 months it's been into warranty. I'm done spending excessive money on it. Fingers crossed it goes well.

I also need to put together a fan for the DigiQ. I bought the DigiQ unit used for $25 minus the fan. Which wasn't any big deal as I borrowed my Auber Instruments PID fan when I needed it. I ended up giving away my Auber Controller to my brother in law and now fanless for the DigiQ. I picked up a fan online for cheap awhile back. @GregW hooked me up with a free fan housing. (A big thanks to GregW) So I have the housing and fan but I still need to get a jack and wire to get everything soldered up for a functioning fan. Thanks for the tips on the wires!

Minnesota
  • westernbbq
    WeberWho said:
    @westernbbq The PartyQ might get kind of ugly being a one piece unit. It is going to be sent off to warranty to see what they say about it. If stars align just right hopefully warranty will fix the issue. If they try charging me more than $10 I'll do it myself. It's the second time in 3 months it's been into warranty. I'm done spending excessive money on it. Fingers crossed it goes well.

I also need to put together a fan for the DigiQ. I bought the DigiQ unit used for $25 minus the fan. Which wasn't any big deal as I borrowed my Auber Instruments PID fan when I needed it. I ended up giving away my Auber Controller to my brother in law and now fanless for the DigiQ. I picked up a fan online for cheap awhile back. @GregW hooked me up with a free fan housing. (A big thanks to GregW) So I have the housing and fan but I still need to get a jack and wire to get everything soldered up for a functioning fan. Thanks for the tips on the wires!
    You bet my man.  The wires come with digi q red and blqck but from motor manufacturer they are black and black with grey design on them. I forget which hoes where but it is easy to figure out
    The housing is what you need to hook to bge and thats the spendy part.  The fans are lo cost...
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho said:

You bet my man.  The wires come with digi q red and blqck but from motor manufacturer they are black and black with grey design on them. I forget which hoes where but it is easy to figure out
    The housing is what you need to hook to bge and thats the spendy part.  The fans are lo cost...
    Perfect! Thanks

Minnesota
  • westernbbq
    If i can find some time tomorrow, ill snap a few picts and send em. But i gotta warn ya...headed to phx open for breakfast, then back home to fire up L, minimax and roccbox for super bowl pizza party.  Should be an awesome time....
  • WeberWho
    If i can find some time tomorrow, ill snap a few picts and send em. But i gotta warn ya...headed to phx open for breakfast, then back home to fire up L, minimax and roccbox for super bowl pizza party.  Should be an awesome time....
    I appreciate that. Thanks. No rush on pictures. Whenever you have a chance. Enjoy tomorrow. It sounds like a blast!

Minnesota
  • westernbbq
    You betcha!   Go pack go....oh wait, not this year!
  • WeberWho
    You betcha!   Go pack go....oh wait, not this year!
    Thankfully! ;) SKOL!

Minnesota