Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First duck advice - yes I said duck

Options
First time cooking a domestic duck  (5lb) on the egg. I did a little research on how others have prepared their's. 
I'm thinking of spatchcock​ing it, cook indirect with a mild smoke maybe for 30-45 min, then increase temp and go raised direct till completion. The only reason for the initial indirect cook is to infuse some smoke, otherwise I'd just do the whole bird raised direct.
Thoughts? 

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    Thanks for your advice @Killit_and_Grillit.
    Like I was saying, I did some research. I couldn't find anyone doing a similar style cook. I thought maybe I could bounce the idea off the knowledgable folks here in this site 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I’m here for you. I don’t do domestic duck (and I only do wild duck now if I am forced to hunt them) but it’s rare you can’t google “***** Big Green Egg” and find 5-500 posts about someone who didn’t try to figure the same thing out in 2008. 

I say if nobody has tried it you owe it to the forum to give your idea a whirl and then post the results. The concept is sound.  And remember we learn more from failures than successes.  =)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    edited January 2018
    Options
    With a domestic duck, I’ve always been told to poke a bunch of small holes in the skin prior to cooking. It gives the rendered fat somewhere to go, thus giving you a chance at getting crispy skin. I’ve also followed Hank Shaw’s method for roasting a whole duck and never once been disappointed with the results on a wild or domestic bird. 

Wild
    https://honest-food.net/roast-wild-duck-recipe/

Domestic
    https://honest-food.net/roast-duck-recipe/
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I do them a couple times a year. Don't recall if I've ever spatch'd one. The value of sparching is quickness, which means that less fat birds w. white like chickens don't dry out. Duck are all dark meat, and domestic ones tend to be really fat.

I cut away any excess fat, and do prick the skin all over. I've also tried to lift the skin from the body sort of like Peking duck style. There are usually lots of drippings, which I suppose might cause grease fires if it was done direct. They also take smoke, so I use a minimum amount of wood. Sometimes just a handful af pecan shells is enough.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I do not do them often as my wife will not eat duck. Ever. So I make it when I want it. 
    Here is a older thread I did years ago.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1192240/monday-night-quick-duck#latest

Fyi, slightly modified - I dry overnight uncovered,  I cook at 325’ish indirect to render fat, then when I hit 120’ish internal, I bump to about 400-425F indirect to get crispy skin and color. Works out pretty well.  Careful pulling that pan of duck fat out..... spill a little and man it goes up hot and bright....

Post up your results!! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I like them raised indirect.  Out a clean drip pan under there with an air gap between the platesetter.  They give off a ton of fat.  Start breast side down, pierce the skin in many spots.  What I've done is after an hour or so, take the drip pan out and save the rendered duck fat for other dishes.  For the remainder of the cook you can add some sliced yukon gold potatoes and onions under the duck.  The onion, potato side is amazing.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    230 raised grid direct for about 5 hours works plus minus for me, skin gets nice and crunchy. needs a vibrant fruit type sauce. if you go direct the temps need to remain low.  most go hot and serve it more rare
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gym
    Options
    I didn't realize the fat was such a bonus when cooking duck.  I like the idea of adding potatoes/onions to the drip tray. I'm going to cook it on Wed. I'll let you all know if it was a pass or failure.
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    The fat is liquid gold.  If you can, pull it out of the drip pan midway or so through the cook so it does not burn up or get too much smoke in it.
    Large and MiniMax

• Gym
    Options
    So I cooked the duck, but what a day! I just lit the egg to preheat when my wife had to take my little one to the hospital. So I stayed home with the other child. Somehow in all the commotion, I forgot to turn down the egg. So it was at 650! I got it dampened down after about an hour. I decided not to spatch it after @gdenby advice. So I just stuffed it with onions and oranges, then seasoned. 
    I got the duck on with some apple smoke and cooked it around 235 indirect for several hours right up until I ran out of charcoal. The overburn at the beginning had used up all my charcoal. So I put it in the oven to finish. I put some of the drippings in a ci skillet with some potatoes and onions.  My wife called to say they we're staying the night at the hospital, so it was dinner for 2!

Thanks to you guys for the advice. Hopefully my next duck is on a slightly less chaotic day where I can enjoy (and monitor) the cook.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Sure looks yummy, despite the hectic situation.
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing okay.
    Based on the look of that duck, you nailed it! 
    Large and MiniMax

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Looks good brother!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Looks pretty good from here.  Hope little one is feeling better.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Gym
    Options
    Hey thanks guys. My son is 9 months old. He's having trouble breathing but he seems to be improving. He's still in hospital but hope he can come home today.
    Next time I think I'll try a little more heat for the cook, to help render the fat. All in all, I was happy.