Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just imagine...

Options
So, just imagine, you set up the controller, the fan and adjust the fan DAMPER, the grid and food probes, the daisy wheel, you set your temperature set points and you press the go button.  Then at some point after hours of cooking, you see that your grid temp has dropped.  What can it be?  Do I need to adjust the daisy wheel?  Do I need to adjust the fan damper?  Both?  So you begin to tinker with one (or both)....then you suddenly realize that your beer is now warm and you realize that it is a good damn thing you were home when the cook went astray.  Geez, after all, we don't want to screw up that SRF brisket.  What the hell?  I thought this was a set and forget temp controller.  Well, it is, kinda.

That analogy was before, when I was still using the DigiQ.  The Smobot removes the fan variable, leaving only the daisy (damper) in need of adjustment.  Smobot, you had me at hello!  If you have never owned a fan forced temp controller and a Smobot, ya just won't get it.  

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    That smobot is a brilliantly designed instrument!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    I had one cook using the BBQ guru go tango uniform.  The fire had choked itself.  I think I've heard the term circular burn out (kind of like water going down a toilet bowl).  I haven't had that issue after starting my lump NSEW and in the center.  So aside from one time the BBQ Guru setup has worked for me.   I'd like a system that would work with rotisserie (I'm not a super fan of clipping the pit probe to the dome thermo).  

That and I'm kind of afraid of the long term viability of a smobot considering at times how much force I've had to use to unstick my caps parts.

That being said, the Smobot does to me seem like a cleaner solution if you only do low/slow.  I haven't seen any field commentary on it for a max temp reverse sear.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    baychilla said:

That being said, the Smobot does to me seem like a cleaner solution if you only do low/slow.  I haven't seen any field commentary on it for a max temp reverse sear.
    For the sear part, you just remove the daisy wheel/damper all togther and let the egg go with no top
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Ahh, the last time I did that I melted the egg together/fried the gasket.  Still since BBQ Guru wont give me web functionality w/o buying a new model of essentially the same thing I'm kind of feeling grumpy towards them.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    baychilla said:
    I haven't seen any field commentary on it for a max temp reverse sear.
    I can't imagine a situation where I would use any temp controller for a high temp cook or sear.
    Stillwater, MN
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    baychilla said:

For the sear part, you just remove the daisy wheel/damper all togther and let the egg go with no top

Or just get a second daisy wheel and dedicate it to the Smobot.  That's what I did.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    baychilla said:
    I haven't seen any field commentary on it for a max temp reverse sear.
    I can't imagine a situation where I would use any temp controller for a high temp cook or sear.
    I understand your point.....but there are a LOT of people out there that think they can cook to the perfection of a BGE with an Old Smokey BBQ pit and therefore think we BGE owners are insane for spending the $$ on a BGE.  It's an argument you cannot win with those folks.  Bless their lost souls!

I don't always wander off during a 14hr brisket cook, but when I do, Smobots got it under control.  Smobot allows me to go drink beer at my friends house and still watch my smoke.  My friends stock better beer than I do.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I will have to say I was elated with my results. Even using it on a windy day, the temp control was remarkable. I will use it again this week, when I do my next brisket. It just works.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i have one of the first bbq guru products, its just an automotive radiator temp  controller that opens and closes the dome vent. never understood the fans, phone linkups, graphing etc.  im never there with low and slows, just set it up and go to sleep, wakeup early and check the dome temp and leave for the day in the boat. i agree, simple is best, mine is set for 240 dome, no need to ever change that =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    i have one of the first bbq guru products, its just an automotive radiator temp  controller that opens and closes the dome vent. never understood the fans, phone linkups, graphing etc.  im never there with low and slows, just set it up and go to sleep, wakeup early and check the dome temp and leave for the day in the boat. i agree, simple is best, mine is set for 240 dome, no need to ever change that =)

Man, that is really cool!