Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Blender Suggestions

Options
2»

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    These discussions come up on here from time to time and still can't figure out why anyone would spend that kind of money on a blender! I have a $30 Ninja. Does everything I want it to do, quickly and easily. Cleans up easily too. Doesn't take up much counter space either. If it dies, I can buy at least a dozen more before I spend as much as I would have on one Vitamix or Blendtec.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    Bought a Ninja from Costco because we didn’t want to spend the $ on a Vitamix.   I know, I know...  someone who owns a Green Egg is trying to save money “not” getting what they really want in a kitchen/cooking tool.  Too funny.  

Anyway, brought the Ninja home, opened it, pulled out two dozen parts:  containers, lids, blades, etc.  Too much stuff to take up space and not get used.  Returned it the next day and bought a Vitamix.  Opened the Vitamix and you get the base, the carafe and the cookbook.  Simple.  I read somewhere that the motor is 1/3 HP and I believe it.  It’s a beast.   Follow any recipe and it turns out good stuff. There is truth to which ingredients go in first and last.   Made in the USA too.  Correct me if I’m wrong on that.  Good luck with whatever you buy, but the Vitamix will be your last.  
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    These discussions come up on here from time to time and still can't figure out why anyone would spend that kind of money on a blender! I have a $30 Ninja. Does everything I want it to do, quickly and easily. Cleans up easily too. Doesn't take up much counter space either. If it dies, I can buy at least a dozen more before I spend as much as I would have on one Vitamix or Blendtec.
    Never change man.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never change man.
    Likewise.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It's kind of like owning a Weber kettle vs a BGE. They do the same thing but until you own and use one you can't know the difference. 
    Expensive?  Yes. I could buy a lot of blenders for what a Vitamix costs, or I could buy just one Vitamix.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    It's kind of like owning a Weber kettle vs a BGE. They do the same thing but until you own and use one you can't know the difference. 
    Expensive?  Yes. I could buy a lot of blenders for what a Vitamix costs, or I could buy just one Vitamix.
    That is a good comparison. As for my Vitamix, I really like it and have never really regretted the purchase. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Sounds like you made the right choice for you.  For myself, I would not go without my Vitamix.  I do a lot with my Vitamix that wouldn't be worth attempting with a Ninja or standard blender.

To others, the warranty service is remarkable.  At 6 1/2 years I had a problem.  Within 3 days I had a replacement container.  That didn't solve the problem, so they had me send in the base.  Within 6 days I had sent it to them, they replaced the motor, and I had it back - all no charge, including shipping both ways.
    Phoenix 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Yep.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That is a good comparison. As for my Vitamix, I really like it and have never really regretted the purchase. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Vitamix refurb here. Love the power. Hate the noise. Also, doesn't fit under the cabinet with lid on.  Solution, leave the lid off.  Will make sauce out of anything damn quick.  Also, hot soup from the blender is pretty cool.  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Had a vitamin for almost 10 yrs.  It blasts through anything.  I've ground up charcoal fines in it before.....made a hell of a mess, and really pissed off the wife, but I didn't feel like screening them to get the charcoal powder I needed.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Yep.

Buy once, cry once. Works for me at this point in my life.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Vitamix refurb here. Love the power. Hate the noise. Also, doesn't fit under the cabinet with lid on.  Solution, leave the lid off.  Will make sauce out of anything damn quick.  Also, hot soup from the blender is pretty cool.  
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1211317/ot-warm-soup-made-in-the-vitamix-on-this-cold-evening
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    FWIW, I think this is an old Vitamix...
    https://youtu.be/2HKTx5WFcs0
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Vitamix.  What's a Blendtec?
    NOLA
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    edited January 2018
    Options
    As #hungry_joe said the new Ascent series Vitamix fit under standard 18" cabinets.  We have the Ascent 3500 and love it.  This beast heats liquid up hot enough for soup!  It is noisy, no getting around that; we bought a new "open box" version off eBay for around $450.00.  The serial # had never been registered with Vitamix so I called Vitamix and there was no problem registering it for the TEN year warranty.  I like that the Vitamix is USA made.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I bought a Blendtec a few years ago. My recollection was that the option of having different jars for different items was a plus. Also from recollection, it seemed like the blades lasted longer.

Never got around to buying the extra jar(s), so making the roasted hazelnut butter 2 days ago in the big jar was a cleaning pain.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i must be missing something with the blender thing, mines 19 years old and been under the sink unused the whole time, maybe i just need a better one =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    VERY happy with my vitamix 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Mrs3969 has a Vitamix and loves it.  I don’t do much blending so the processor is generally what I grab for hummus and what not.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    Options
    We got a fantastic deal on a blendtec a couple years ago on Amazon.  I think we saved $200.  The thing is a beast.  It gets used everyday.
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • distanceman
    Options
    Vitamin here as well. Agonized over the cost vs Ninja. What sold me was Vitamix relies on the power of the motor vs sharp blades. Plus watching videos, it seemed to pulverize kale much better. You can also shove that tamper down in there to get'r done. 

The guy who compared it to the Weber Kettle vs BGE nailed it. You can blend just fine with both--one is just a lot nicer and will last much longer. Zero regrets even though I spent a lot of $$$ on it. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Vitamix
    Bought because it was for the girlfriend, and she's beautiful and then some.. Needless to to say, we're not together anymore....
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Vitamin here as well. Agonized over the cost vs Ninja. What sold me was Vitamix relies on the power of the motor vs sharp blades. Plus watching videos, it seemed to pulverize kale much better. You can also shove that tamper down in there to get'r done. 

The guy who compared it to the Weber Kettle vs BGE nailed it. You can blend just fine with both--one is just a lot nicer and will last much longer. Zero regrets even though I spent a lot of $$$ on it. 
    I was amazed at my blendtec, not sharp at all. Its like a spinning metal bar instead of a blade

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Eggscuses said:
    Vitamix
    Bought because it was for the girlfriend, and she's beautiful and then some.. Needless to to say, we're not together anymore....

Bet you wish you had bought her a ninja...

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options