Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KO Worksharp Redux!

Options
Morning All,
as I continue to contemplate buying the Worksharp to sharpen my kitchen knives,  I only have one concern that bothers me.  In another conservation on this topic,  someone mentioned that material from other sharp sessions will scratch the blades of your knives.  They suggested that you put painter's blue tape over the portion of the blade not being sharpened.  I was ordering if anyone else has had this problem?  I couldn’t stand to have my Shun blades scratched in that way.  They are wonderful kitchen tools.  Part of their attraction is their beauty also.  Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated.  I want to protect the whole surface of my Shun Imperials as I sharpen them.  Thanks for any input folks.
Berlin, Maryland

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    It's not a bad idea to cover most of the blade with painters tape. I've never gotten a wayward scratch from my Worksharp but I have when using some of my other sharpening tools due to my own inattention.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I bought one a month or so ago. I hope you have something other than your Shuns to practice on. It does take some time getting used to
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I ordered one the other day.  Should be here tomorrow.  Probably should have ordered some bandages while I was at it...
    Options
    Don't know that you will need bandages but you will need extra belts.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Love mine! Not worried about scratches though..

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Don't know that you will need bandages but you will need extra belts.
    I already have extra belts from the last time I ordered one and my order (and a bunch of folks here) was cancelled because of a pricing error.
    Options
    It did mark some of my knives. I started adding tape before sharpening and it fixed the issue. I have an 8” Shun chef knife that I add tape to when sharpening and it still looks great. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have scratched one of my blades.  It was my Misen so not a big deal (I got a poor heat treated one that won't keep an edge).
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    I have scratched one of my blades.  It was my Misen so not a big deal (I got a poor heat treated one that won't keep an edge).

Did you ever contact them about your knife? Once they bring their sharpening program to fruition it might be worth sending it in so they can look at it.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    edited January 2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Did you ever contact them about your knife? Once they bring their sharpening program to fruition it might be worth sending it in so they can look at it.
    I did contact them.  I laid out my concern and they said it was probably my sharpening technique.  I responded back explaining my technique works on my other knives and they never responded back.

I will take them up on this offer when it gets rolling.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • pdevoy
    pdevoy Posts: 25
    Options
    I collect mostly traditional pocket knives some are custom made, some are very expensive, and some are average. I got the ken onion WS and tired it out. I did indeed scratch some of the blades. I learned quickly to be very careful. I decided to try it with my German made kitchen knives and got some minor scratches on a few of them as well. since then I have replaced the kitchen knives with  Shun knives..... I will not try to sharpen them on the WS. I'm luck enough to live near Tigard Oregon where they will  take care of it. they are way to expensive. leave the Shun sharping to an expert..... my opinion