Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn Starch Question w/ Poultry

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,029
edited January 2018 in EggHead Forum
The last few rounds of wings I've used corn starch and air dried in the fridge for 24 hours. Game changer! Man I wish I would have tried this earlier. 

Anyways, has any used corn starch and air dried a whole chicken or a turkey? I wonder if the skin would act the same as it does wings? Thoughts? Thanks 
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    yes. same results. almost like fried
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Options
    This is a trick the America's Test Kitchen has been showing for the last couple years for whole chickens.  Even use it on steak and fries to get a better crust.

Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    I've done both wings and whole, spatchcocked chickens. It's definitely an improvement, but I found that the Food Lab's baking powder version worked better. 

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/the-best-baked-buffalo-chicken-wings-in-oven-not-fried-appetizers.html
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This works for me but I see no reason why some corn starch would not enhance it. Sorry I cannot afford photobuckes crazy fees.
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=969877&catid=1

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Think this was discussed a few years ago. Corn starch is neutral or slightly acidic, while baking powder is slightly alkaline. Both work well at drying the skin, but baking powder somehow creates a more bubbled skin. 
    I’ve always used a 50/50 mix of BP and CS, seems to do the trick. Overnight, uncovered in the fridge is the best pre-cook treatment. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Thanks guys for the tips. I'll have to throw some baking powder in there with the corn starch and give it a try
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Do you let them dry in the fridge over night and then put the CS on them?   Or put the CS on and then air dry in fridge?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    This.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Baking powder will generate gas when wetted and with heat.  Makes for an "airy" crust.  And it has starch.
    edited January 2018
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Do you let them dry in the fridge over night and then put the CS on them?   Or put the CS on and then air dry in fridge?
    @GoooDawgs CS, rub, than air dry overnight. A serious game changer. I wish I didn't wait so long to try this technique. 

It wasn't the taste as much as it was the texture I've been missing. Which never really crossed my mind prior to doing this technique. The wings I cooked before were good but I could tell they were off a grill. This technique and texture is much closer to a wing that you would find deep fried.

I'm interested in trying corn starch and a little baking powder like other have mentioned above. I can't believe how corn starch and air drying wings can change the whole taste and texture of a wing. My wife even mentioned how much better the wing profile was without me prompting her in anyway. Game changer for sure 

Minnesota
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Thanks @WeberWho.    I have been struggling with the same issue and thought it was because I was doing them indirect.   Are you going raised direct these days? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • WeberWho
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Thanks @WeberWho.    I have been struggling with the same issue and thought it was because I was doing them indirect.   Are you going raised direct these days? 
    @GoooDawgs I also go indirect.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts if you give this a try

Minnesota
  • kindaquick14
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas and recipes!  I'll have to give these CS / BP wingies a try!  yum!
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Baking powder will generate gas when wetted and with heat.  Makes for an "airy" crust.  And it has starch.
    IMHO it has better results than corn starch and without caking. Mix it up with kosher salt, cracked pepper and herbs. Good eats. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Is this applicable on boneless/skinless chicken thighs/breasts as well?
    Mountain View, CA
  • pgprescott
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Is this applicable on boneless/skinless chicken thighs/breasts as well?
    its all about crisp skin, so I say nope.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options

You should pull them off, then brush with a bit canola oil and put them back on for another 10-15 minutes and they will be "grill-fried"
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Just finished breaking down a family pack of whole wings. Dusted with half CS and half BP. Tossed in the fridge for a nap. Looking forward to trying them with BP tomorrow 

Minnesota
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    After they dry in the fridge is it ok to hit them with some oil and rub, or will the oil soften the skin again?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    onedbguru said:

You should pull them off, then brush with a bit canola oil and put them back on for another 10-15 minutes and they will be "grill-fried"
    No need imo, but maybe I’ll give it a whirl for kicks. 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I went 1/2 corn starch and 1/2 baking powder on these wings. The verdict is still up in the air with this combination. I picked up a little crunch with 50/50 combo. I think I'll go strictly baking powder next time. Just so I can touch on each flavor individually and what they're like paired together. I feel like the skin wasn't as good as the last few times but probably my mind just messing with me. The crunch was nice. Here's a few pics of tonight's wings:

Minnesota