Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs

Options
OshawaDave
OshawaDave Posts: 198

I cooked Costco baby back ribs this weekend. My first time and I was quite happy with the results. I kept worrying that they wouldn't turn out, but, they were great. I used a recipe from this forum which was:

• Brine 4 -6 hours (I omitted this step)
  • Cluck & Squeal rub
  • 3 hours on rib rack at 250 degrees
  • 45 minutes in foil at 300 degrees
  • 10 minutes on grill with BGE Kansas Smoky BBQ Sauce

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

Comments

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    They look fantastic. I love baby backs
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Congratulations, they look very nice. Good draw back on the bone ends.

After using cheap metal cookers for years, I was very apprehensive about how the Egg would do. It seemed like the foil step guaranteed a tender and moist outcome. It does, but there are a couple of down sides. Fuss of wrapping and gathering the liquids from the foil aside, there is some chance of them getting mushy.

Sometime in the future, try doing them for maybe 5 hours at 250 - 275, no foil. Have the sauce heated by itself, and ladle it on right before serving. A little less work, and the results should be comparable.
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Congratulations, they look very nice. Good draw back on the bone ends.

After using cheap metal cookers for years, I was very apprehensive about how the Egg would do. It seemed like the foil step guaranteed a tender and moist outcome. It does, but there are a couple of down sides. Fuss of wrapping and gathering the liquids from the foil aside, there is some chance of them getting mushy.

Sometime in the future, try doing them for maybe 5 hours at 250 - 275, no foil. Have the sauce heated by itself, and ladle it on right before serving. A little less work, and the results should be comparable.

Thanks. I'll have to try that.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Great outcome however you get there.  Congrats.  Tooth-pick test for the win every time.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Great looking ribs, I’ll take a plate!
  • Higgy
    Higgy Posts: 35
    Options
    I'll be doing this today. Hope they turn out as good as yours look.
    At the end of the day...It's the end of the day!