Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maiden voyage with a Smobot

Options
124»

Comments

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    I've got a BBQ Guru that I will sell at 70% of what I paid. Includes carrying case. Any takers?

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    @YukonRon I think your next toy should be the Spitjack 

I would unintentionally harm innocent people or myself with such a device. That bad boy looks like it could marinate Stone Mountain.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    GoooDawgs said:

I would unintentionally harm innocent people or myself with such a device. That bad boy looks like it could marinate Stone Mountain.
    Ron....I think you can mod a good pair of Suzy’s pruning shares. Nice brisket there my friend. Always enjoy reading about your escapades....prefer to be present though. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    edited January 2018
    Options
    completely agree that this injector is overkill (and overpriced).  I wanted a new injector for Christmas and told my wife about it - in a halfway kidding way since I definitely don't crank out the volume to justify it. That being said,  it is fun to use and will last a lifetime. And it makes you want to inject everything that goes on the egg!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Nice work, indeed!  There's nothing like the sweet smell and taste of success.  I've had a spitjack for quite some time but recently bought one of these andfind it equally as impressive.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    GoooDawgs said:

Ron....I think you can mod a good pair of Suzy’s pruning shares. Nice brisket there my friend. Always enjoy reading about your escapades....prefer to be present though. ;)
    Thank you Robin, the evening turned out pretty well. As you know, my friends from the BGE forum are always welcome in our home. You folks, are our family.
    I would never touch my Beautiful Wife's pruning shears. That would be even more dangerous to my health. There is some things I have learned to respect; Suzy's gardens, and her gardening tools. I know I am the heavy labor she uses for her garden, and that is about it. I dig and carry. And say "Yes Dear".

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    completely agree that this injector is overkill (and overpriced).  I wanted a new injector for Christmas and told my wife about it - in a halfway kidding way since I definitely don't crank out the volume to justify it. That being said,  it is fun to use and will last a lifetime. And it makes you want to inject everything that goes on the egg!
    If I had that thing I would build it a shed.
    Awesome looking injector for sure.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    @YukonRon...I dig and carry, too.  My self acclaimed title around here is Plant Manager, reporting to the Chief Home Officer.  I don't mind a female boss....sometimes has benefits.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Nice work, indeed!  There's nothing like the sweet smell and taste of success.  I've had a spitjack for quite some time but recently bought one of these andfind it equally as impressive.
    Thar looks pretty cool. We have some injector fans it seems in this forum.

I used about 9 oz of the cheat sauce, and mopped it a couple times.

It is worth a try if you have not done it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    I actually rarely inject.  Mostly poultry if I do.  What cheat sauce are you referring to?
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @RajunCajun

50% low sodium beef broth, 25% onion juice, 25% garlic juice. Mix well. I also use it to mop with. Does not effect the crust at all.

Brisket is the only cook where I will use the cheat sauce for injecting. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Unwrapping the meteorite:

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    About 1/2 gone at this point, cam back to slice more (plenty of drunk slices never made it to the table, our guests, were like sharks circling in the water)

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Oh yeah, granddogger took a nap

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @RajunCajun

50% low sodium beef broth, 25% onion juice, 25% garlic juice. Mix well. I also use it to mop with. Does not effect the crust at all.

Thanks!  Where do you get the onion and garlic juices?
  • YukonRon
    Options
    RajunCajun said:m
    YukonRon said:
    @RajunCajun

Thanks!  Where do you get the onion and garlic juices?
    I have been getting them at the grocery store, typically found in the spice section. Meijer and Kroger stocks them.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    Thanks for the info.  You da man, for sure!!!  
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Thanks for the info.  You da man, for sure!!!  
    I will do until the real one comes along.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Man I have been MIA for a while. A lot of new things floating around. Never even heard of Smobot. Brisket looks good. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I need to stop reading @YukonRon posts. First, I start drinking better wine. Now I’m thinking about a Smobot. Let’s don’t even think about the damage bourbon slushies can cause...

Wait a minute. Now that I think about it... Sir, thank you for guidance and wisdom. You and others around here are making my life better.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Man I have been MIA for a while. A lot of new things floating around. Never even heard of Smobot. Brisket looks good. 
    I have to say, I am impressed by that pice of equipment.
    Thank you for the compliment. It worked out really well, juicy, fork tender and full of flavor.
    Glad you are back.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I need to stop reading @YukonRon posts. First, I start drinking better wine. Now I’m thinking about a Smobot. Let’s don’t even think about the damage bourbon slushies can cause...

Wait a minute. Now that I think about it... Sir, thank you for guidance and wisdom. You and others around here are making my life better.
    Thank you for the kind words. This was a fun cook, and the results were very, very good.
    We are having the meager leftovers today, watching the Pats and Jags.

I absolutely recommend the Bleu cheese coleslaw with brisket. It was the perfect compliment. Making wraps today using brisket and the slaw, they are delicious.

And you sir, are a wealth of knowledge for me. Thank you, for all of the help you have sent my way.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    You make us proud my friend... dang that looks good...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    Options
    You make us proud my friend... dang that looks good...
    Thank you for the kind words. It turned out really well. Tastes even better next day when warmed up. Making roll ups and slider today.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    The end of a very good brisket,
    Some burnt ends, instead of chili:

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Did granddogger get that missing cube?? Looks great.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Did granddogger get that missing cube?? Looks great.

Um, I was the guilty party on that one. 
    The rest went to everyone at the house today. Did not last long.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky