Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Should Be Banned For This Crime

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited January 2018 in EggHead Forum
Asked my wife to pull a brisket out of the freezer to thaw yesterday. When I got home from work, we had some running around to do. We reminded each other that the brisket needed to go in to the fridge when we got home.

Yup, you guessed it, we both forgot and it stayed out overnight. Got up this morning and temped the brisket, 60 F.

:o  :o:o
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Roll with it, DO NOT throw it out!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You have been banished from the forum, but I went to the buffalo God' and got you reinstated. There are others here that have done far worse. I am lucky I am still allowed in here.
    Don't ask.
    I am here for you brother.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Ol' Mortimer can get it right.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    I'm failing to see the real problem here.  Takes a LONG time to thaw.  Just rinse it and cook it.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like a Plan B grocery store trip is in order. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

I hope someone chimes in with science soon-ish.  But for the center of your brisket to come to 60F, I suspect that the thinner, edges of the meat have been in the danger zone for quite some time. 

The real danger isn't the bacteria, which will die in the cooking process, it's the toxins that they leave behind.  I would be very discriminating with your senses.  If it has a signs of spoilage (Smell, slimey or sticky feel) I would urge safety.

I've been trying to find some kind of temperature equation online to help you try to identify how long the brisket has been above 40F, but haven't been successful thus far.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    johnnyp said:

I hope someone chimes in with science soon-ish.  But for the center of your brisket to come to 60F, I suspect that the thinner, edges of the meat have been in the danger zone for quite some time. 

The real danger isn't the bacteria, which will die in the cooking process, it's the toxins that they leave behind.  I would be very discriminating with your senses.  If it has a signs of spoilage (Smell, slimey or sticky feel) I would urge safety.

I've been trying to find some kind of temperature equation online to help you try to identify how long the brisket has been above 40F, but haven't been successful thus far.

Too many variables for an equation, but I’m pretty certain it’s longer than the requisite four hour max. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    johnnyp said:

Too many variables for an equation, but I’m pretty certain it’s longer than the requisite four hour max. 

I agree. I tried to use the equation coroners use for dead bodies, in reverse.  Didn't work and I wasn't sure how to adjust it accurately.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I'd toss it.   Especially if you're having guests
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I’d cook it. You’ll be cooking the meat for hours above 160F.  160F is the temp in which all bacteria is instantly killed and the temp at which it is safe to eat.

Just my 0.02

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Seems appropriate!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My vote is buy a new prime brisket from Costco an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure - uncertainty in this situation is not justifiable 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • CTMike
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    I’d cook it. You’ll be cooking the meat for hours above 160F.  160F is the temp in which all bacteria is instantly killed and the temp at which it is safe to eat.

Just my 0.02

I absolutely won’t be cooking this. If the center of the brisket temps at 60F, the rest of it has been way above the danger zone for way too long. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    I agree. I tried to use the equation coroners use for dead bodies, in reverse.  Didn't work and I wasn't sure how to adjust it accurately.
    @johnnyp - now that is making a great effort to find an answer that likely has been the subject of funded grants for many decades.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    not sure I'd thaw any chunky meat by leaving it out on the counter.  It isn't worth the potential for future unpleasantries. 

Pop it in the fridge couple days ahead of time and no worries or reminders needed.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Thawing anything bigger than a slab of ribs is a pain in the a$$ IMHO
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • CTMike
    edited January 2018
    Options
    tjv said:
    not sure I'd thaw any chunky meat by leaving it out on the counter.  It isn't worth the potential for future unpleasantries. 

Pop it in the fridge couple days ahead of time and no worries or reminders needed.  

t
    I didn’t leave it on the counter, I put it in a sink of cold water which is a perfectly fine way of defrosting. We just forgot to put it in the fridge when we got home after running our errands. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Ouch.  I have felt your pain, although not with a brisket.

Phoenix 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    CTMike said:
    tjv said:

t
    I didn’t leave it on the counter, I put it in a sink of cold water which is a perfectly fine way of defrosting. We just forgot to put it in the fridge when we got home after running our errands. 
    ok cool, had me worried for a minute.  t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    In regards to the cook it or toss it question.  Ask anybody on this forum who has had a bout with food poisoning that if in the midst of their struggles would they pay $100 to be rid of the experience immediately?
    The answer would be across the board 100% yes.  $100 should cover whatever meat you're planning on cooking. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2018
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    In regards to the cook it or toss it question.  Ask anybody on this forum who has had a bout with food poisoning that if in the midst of their struggles would they pay $100 to be rid of the experience immediately?
    The answer would be across the board 100% yes.  $100 should cover whatever meat you're planning on cooking. 
    Not to mention you may end up spending an extra $100 on toilet paper and baby wipes if you take the chance on the risky meat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.