Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: anybody else watching Barrett-Jackson? : OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,916
lots of custom cars being sold at doable prices, but just the same most still look like trailer queens.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,225
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Early days of B-J aren’t that bad. It’ll get stupid this weekend. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Yep
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,823
    Options
    I  like Barrett-Jackson better than Mecum. David Mecum seems to pressure people just to get a sale. I'm still upset with Barrett Jackson since they used to be right here at the Orange County fairgrounds in Costa Mesa but decided Reno was a better market. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    I  like Barrett-Jackson better than Mecum. David Mecum seems to pressure people just to get a sale. 
    It’s a different beast. B-J has no reserve so they are getting paid on everything that rolls across the block.  A lot more salesmanship is involved to get someone to lift their reserve at Mecum. 
  • RajunCajun
    edited January 2018
    Options
    68 Blue GMC 4x4
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Nice Scottie! I like the 55s better than 56 or 57. 
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    @SGH.  Nice!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Me too. My dad had a wicked 55 and a 57. The 55 was candy apple red and the 57 was jet black. Wish I still had them.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    I  like Barrett-Jackson better than Mecum. David Mecum seems to pressure people just to get a sale. I'm still upset with Barrett Jackson since they used to be right here at the Orange County fairgrounds in Costa Mesa but decided Reno was a better market. 
    I understand your restentment. When Bloomington Gold (Corvettes) left Bloomington/Normal (IL) in 1993 it really miffed me and I have never attended one since.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    SGH said:
    Me too. My dad had a wicked 55 and a 57. The 55 was candy apple red and the 57 was jet black. Wish I still had them.  
    Yup. No one ever said, “Man I’m glad I sold my classic car.”
  • Possumtrot
    Options
    I had a 1955 Bel Air station wagon when I was in high school in the early 60's.  3 speed on column and 265 V8.  Wore out a clutch or two.  My wife and I dated in it - she stayed up against the passenger door most of the time.  Didn't like me much then.  It was a sleeper as far as speed, but you need to start braking way early as brakes wern't much.  Like @SGH 's much better.  :)
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options

SGH said:
    Yup. No one ever said, “Man I’m glad I sold my classic car.”
    Agreed. Not quite the same aesthetics as the cars you guys are talking about, but my dad a couple of years back got rid of the 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle that he bought brand new 4 months before I was born. I rode home from the hospital in mom’s arms (no car seats in those days), learned to drive a stick shift, and went on my first date in that car. I didn’t have garage space then, and the neighborhood covenants wouldn’t let me keep a car in the driveway, so I couldn’t take it when he offered it to me. I regret it almost every day. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Didnt know that you liked classic cars. I had you pegged as a Lamborghini man. With that said, look at this 55 I picked up 2 months ago. My dad had one that was candy apple red. May repaint this one that color when time allows. 

This one is not a road queen. If you notice it’s parked where I work. 
    That's a beauty, Scottie!

Had a buddy in HS who was a farm boy who raised prized award winning black angus and when he turned 16 he paid cash (big BIG money back then) for the most beautiful '57 BelAire that was solid black with a solid black interior and before he brought it home he had that back V section panel of silver siding between the chrome strips removed and the metal underneath painted black. He also had it lowered, outfitted with a cool (at that time) Contennial Kit, fender skirts, dual rear antennas, and those bodacious flippers on the front wheels! DAMN was he the most envied kid in our high school.
  • RRP
    Options
    I had a 1955 Bel Air station wagon when I was in high school in the early 60's.  3 speed on column and 265 V8.  Wore out a clutch or two.  My wife and I dated in it - she stayed up against the passenger door most of the time.  Didn't like me much then.  It was a sleeper as far as speed, but you need to start braking way early as brakes wern't much.  Like @SGH 's much better.  :)
    Don't you wish you still had that car! I about gave my "left nut" for a '55 Nomad in the late '70s and now I wish I would have! 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    There are a dozen or so collector car auctions in the phoenix area over the next couple of weeks.  Barrett Jax is the biggest, RM, Russo and Steele, i think kruse and a few others.  I cant figure out why though, itll be 77 today, there is no rust causing salt on the roads and its dry outside...and i havent seen a mosquito since, well, i cant remember.   115 in summer is paying dividends right now.   Wm open is in a few weeks, we are having an afc nfc title party this weekend, outside bbq.   Itll get cold on saturday with a high of only 57...but sunday itll warm back up....

It is neat to see old cars around town and on trailers ...as a kid l lusted after the 57 t bird and ive seen 10 of em in the last few days.   I saw a 77 cutlass supreme brougham the other day...same car my dad had in the mid 80s that i drove when i was 16...but this one had a rear bumper amd not a wooden board....memories...

If youre not a bidder for BJ, the best days to go were last sat amd sun. $17 ticket for adults, kids free amd you get right next to the cars...sometimes the ownerrs are there and it can be fun to interact
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    RRP said:
    lots of custom cars being sold at doable prices, but just the same most still look like trailer queens.

Many of them look a LOT better on TV than they do in person. 

That said I still get suckered into watching.  I procrastinated too long to upgrade to HD satellite TV so I could only watch it on Discovery channel last night.  No Velocity channel for me the remainder of it all. :(

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,364
    Options
    Nice ride, Scottie. Seriously beautiful.  I'm not sure it qualifies as a classic, but my sister drove a mid eighties Dodge K-Car all thru high school.  I'm not sure why we don't have pictures.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95