Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggsperimenting with my new toys (Joetisserie and Meater)

Options
The jolly old guy from the North dropped off a Joetisserie for Christmas and I helped myself to a Meater probe.  I like the spatchcocked chicken I do on the Egg, but there was always to me a certain je ne sais quoi missing.  I purchased one of those chill chickens (air chilled) that at least around here seem to be the most flavorful without going into the $9/lb full free range never caged types.  I had the butcher remove the wishbone (I could've done it - but I figured he butcher it less than I).

The day before the cook I took the chicken out of the wrapper and put it on a rack over a roasting pan.  I seasoned it (poorly) with Plowboys Yardbird rub.  This would be my first time using the rub.   

The day of the cook I put the wee beastie into bondage and spanked it with more more of the rub.  Then it was onto the spit.  I started my Egg and got the Guru running at about ~ 355.   I was a bit concerned when I stuck the Meater into the bird and it was telling me the ambient temp was 82.  I like warm but thats about 12 degrees off.

Bird waiting to get probed.  I was kinder than the aliens.

Onto the grill the spit went.  I'm not sure what the "normal" time is but it took the Meater about 10 minutes to go from the ??? Time

To a fairly accurate time estimate

For those that likes graphs, it does provide one.

Things seemed to be going swimmingly.

The Meater told me when to pull the bird off the Egg and rest it.  This is where it went kind of south.  It seems to have underestimated the carry over.  I wound up @ 169 before I prematurely pulled the probe and cut into the bird.

Crispy flavorful smoke kissed skin, the meat was the definition of succulent.  I should've bought a second bird and tried to fit it on.  I paired the chicken with a slightly tangy broccoli slaw (the local whole paycheck finds cabbage slaw mixes too pedestrian it appears). based loosely off a Chef Steps recipe.

Near San Francisco in California

Comments