Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Smoke Thermoworks

Anyone have the Smoke by Thermoworks?  Found it on sale (84$) and thinking about picking it up while its 15% off. 

XL BGE
WSM 18.5
Currently live in Southern Oklahoma/ North Texas region
Born and raised in Chicago! Da BEARS

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Love it... Replaced my Maverick (gifted to a friend).  Much easier to set up than the Maverick! 
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Did you order the Smoke Gateway?
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    I have a Smoke. I too replaced my Maverick with it. Better made, easier to use. Santa is bringing me the gateway.

depending on your needs you may want to look at a Fireboard too. I only heard about it after buying my Smoke. I believe it has the ability to have 6 probes? Not sure I need that many but 3 or 4 would be nice sometimes.

regardless I still love my Smoke, huge upgrade from Maverick.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Did you order the Smoke Gateway?
    I did not as I am usually around for any longer cooks... May someday, just not right now.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• I like the Smoke better than my Maverick, but I still use both. Just grab whichever is handy.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I used to have a Maverick and replaced it with a Smoke.  The range is far better and it is easier to use.  I like the receiver since it hangs around my neck and doesn't get left behind when I walk around the house.  The range is fine for me, so I didn't buy the gateway (yet).
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Thanks for all the input guys.  I just pulled the trigger on the Smoke. I am going to hold off on the Gateway, but I am a sucker for stats.
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Really like mine. Did have a situation with it, though. Went to use it, and it immediately began reading backwards, i.e. started off at 65 degrees , and proceeded to drop...a lot...all the way down to 20 degrees! Found out, in contacting TW, that it was in fact the probe that was defective. I would recommend if you order anything from TW, add a new probe or two to the order, and put them away for when and if the probe goes south on you. Just a thought.
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • I have both the Smoke and it’s Gateway. The Smoke like most others replaced a Maverick ET733. The range and accuracy of the Smoke is amazing. Coupled with the fact that various probes are available from Thermoworks makes it a must buy. The Gateway is nice to chart a cook or to check on a cook while away. While I really like the Gateway it’s not necessary to fully appreciate the Smoke.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • I'm going to test the smoke today!  Ill let yall know what I think
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • I love my Smoke.  It is great to keep an eye on your cooks without having to go out to the Egg every 15-20 minutes.  The alarms let you know when you need to make an adjustment to the daisy wheel. Great for over night low and slows.  I didn't get the gateway either as I'm most always near my cook. Enjoy!
  • My smoke has arrived !
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5

• XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hope you bought it from Thermoworks. They don't warrant (or provide tech support for) any products not purchased from them or from an authorized dealer. If I had seen your original post at the time, I would have mentioned this then. But maybe it'll help someone else.

This from their Homepage...

"Warning regarding ThermoWorks products at Amazon, eBay and other sites.

The lowest internet prices for ThermoWorks products are available at thermoworks.com and through special offers received by subscribers to ThermoWorks emails.

Amazon, eBay, walmart.com, sears.com and their sellers are NOT Authorized Dealers. There are unscrupulous sellers at those sites who have purchased ThermoWorks products at retail prices and are then re-selling them at significantly elevated prices, sometimes 2 to 4 times the Authorized List Price. After receiving numerous complaints from customers who were victimized by those listings, we felt it was important to do what we could to warn unsuspecting consumers.

Furthermore, we have received a growing number of complaints that such sellers are offering counterfeit, copycat, stolen units, and "Open-Box" units as authentic NEW ThermoWorks products. Thus, from January 1st of 2016, technical support and warranty coverage are only available on ThermoWorks products that are purchased direct from ThermoWorks or from ThermoWorks' Authorized Dealers. In this way we know the consumer is fully protected and we can protect our reputation for treating customers fairly."

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    If memory serves the Smoke was on sale on the Thermoworks site for 84 bucks a few weeks ago. So OP may well have bought it from them.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NotEnoughSmoke
    NotEnoughSmoke Posts: 107
    edited January 2018
    I did buy it from them! for the 84 dollar price. My first cook with it was a beer can chicken which came out great.  Anyone who is thinking about a smoke I would buy it again. Totally worth the 84 dollars so far.
    XL BGE
    WSM 18.5
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    edited January 2018
    Ordered this case from Smoke  because I was tired of trying to keep the pieces in the original carton. It is the Medium -Duty Protective Case (SKU: 988-010). 

Edit: I thought about getting the Gateway when it first was announced but this will get more use at our house. 
    You remove small sections of foam to create the channels and pockets the way you want. I may extend the long probe channel some more to reduce the wire bending because there is still room.  
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.