Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium or Mini to go with my Large? Or wait for another large...

Okay, here is my dilemma.

We finally built a nice patio in the yard where I want to move my Large.  I'd like to have it outside away from the house, on rock, for the overnight low and slows so there is 0.001% chance of it burning my house down.  While I reduce risk, it's still sitting on a wooden deck attached to my house, and we've seen pictures here of how that can go wrong.

HOWEVER, if I don't have an egg on my deck, I won't use it for midweek short cooks.  I don't have time after work to run back and forth to the yard when we're in a mad rush to get dinner on the table for the family.

So, I had decided I'd get either another large, or perhaps the equivalent KJ size.  Rationale being, if I get one of the same size then I can share all the accessories I already have.  Otherwise, I have an entire second suite of racks and accessories I'll have to buy and store for the new size.

Haven't bought anything yet...

...walked into my local dealer today to find that they are getting out of the BGE business. 
All grills and accessories are 25% off until gone.  I'm late to this party and all they have left are 2 Mediums and 2 MiniMax.

What should I do?
I picked up some DizzyDust on sale while thinking about the grills.  :)

I am interested in both those sizes, but I frequently use the full real estate of my Large.  Guess I answered my own question.  If any of you MD eggers are interested, I'll point you to the shop. :plus_one:

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    The large and medium is a great combo and it works well for me and my crew.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Spring is coming up and that means Demo Eggs. So the 25% off now will not be a big savings over Eggfest Demo pricing.
    I say get what you REALLY want, not what is on sale now.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    Agree with Darian. My son-in-law has an XL and medium and says the medium is too small for much.    He would rather have gotten a large or the minimax as the medium does not fit for much.  I would either get a second large or look at XL for the yard so can cook more such as large briskets or multiple chickens or pork ribs or butts
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Photo Egg
    GoldenQ said:
    Agree with Darian. My son-in-law has an XL and medium and says the medium is too small for much.    He would rather have gotten a large or the minimax as the medium does not fit for much.  I would either get a second large or look at XL for the yard so can cook more such as large briskets or multiple chickens or pork ribs or butts
    Just FYI, the Medium has more cooking area than Mini Max. Mini max has same cooking area as the Small BGE.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    I have a medium and XL and it’s a great combo. I had the medium first and it worked great for me for a long time. It has room to do a lot more than people think it does! It’s great for smaller cooks such as pizzas or a butt, and I use it with the Woo for wokking, etc. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    was never happy with the small, the lower vents too small, i believe the minimax is the same. my small now sits at a friends camp. i like my mini kub from vision though, lighting thru the lower vent and its searing/grilling in no time and uses a ridiculously small amount of lump.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Another medium owner speaking up. Once I did a 15 pound turkey spatchcocked and another time I cut a 9 pound pork loin in 2 and did both pieces at once.
  • We had our medium for 5 yrs. before we bought an XL.  Just the two of us, so the medium is our workhorse.  The XL gets some action 4 to 6 times a year, and the rest of the time, it is the medium.  Personally, if I had a LBGE and really wanted / needed a second Egg, I would either go with a Medium, or an XL.  I don't think I would get another Egg that is the same size I have already.
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843

I went with two larges and have been very happy with it.  I can share the accessories I want to.  I asked for advise last year and got the double large would be the best.  I have to agree with the masses that helped me.  I am still thinking of adding a mini max for my daughter to learn on but that is a few years away since she is 3.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    The medium is the bees knees. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Just buy a medium. How could you not be happy with it? Small is a little cramped for routine family size cooks but I love mine.

Disclaimer - I think If if I had an egg in every size  I’d use every one of them. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Medium over the minimax all day.  If you care about the portability argument, just get an Acorn Jr for $50 as your tailgate and camping Kamado.   Hope you have another dealer nearby who will cooperate if you need warranty service.... just a thought.
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    My medium is perfect for us when we have company , but I really enjoy the MM for day to day stuff... If I had to give one up, it would be the MM...
    having said that , peer pressure here is forcing me to look for a used large, which I am told daily by my wife that I don't need.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    edited January 2018
    How does one share accessories at the same time? I have two larges and the adjustable rig only works in one of them at a time. 

I own two larges, a mini, XL, MM, and a medium. If I could only have two, it would be a XL and a medium. And the medium does most of the work by far. Love the medium. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    How does one share accessories at the same time? I have two larges and the adjustable rig only works in one of them at a time. 

I own two larges, a mini, XL, MM, and a medium. If I could only have two, it would be a XL and a medium. And the medium does most of the work by far. Love the medium. 
    Dude, buy two AR's

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Mickey said:

About time you pipe in...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey said:

Dude, buy two AR's

Haha, good point. My remarks are mostly in contrast to the shared accessories idea. I actually have a woo and extender in one and the AR in the other. But I never share them :)
  • Kent8621
    i share the cast iron grate for searing, I figure I only need one and it fits in both, same with my rib rack, half moon cast iron pan for cooking bacon to go on burgers. not sure of the length needed but the ash clean out tool works for both also, don't know if you would need a longer one for an XL or not. 

Boiler Up!!

• Kent8621
    and they look great next to each other.

Boiler Up!!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I have a medium and a MM. you can’t go wrong with either.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • I have learned that the size egg you should buy is similiar to politics and religion.  Everyone has their own opinion and their opinion is the correct one.  I personally have a Medium only and it does a great job for my family of 4.  No room for sides but plenty of room for the meat.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Great responses, thanks guys.

Yes, when I was in the store I thought the medium grate looked like a pretty good size for all the meat I usually cook.  Only limitation is sometimes I put a vegetable on at the same time towards the end of a cook.  That'd be tight.

I do love all those pictures of your suites of eggs, side by side.  That's a nice.  Mine would not be next to each other.

It is very unlikely that I would use the one in the yard for mid-week cooks.  Back and forth to the kitchen would drive me nuts.  Whatever is in the yard would be my low-and-slow workhorse. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    I have a medium and XL. Perfect combo.  Wife bought me a medium on our anniversary several years ago. For us it works great. But for gatherings it didn’t cut it. So I ended up get an XL a month ago. If she bought me a large from the start I think that would have been plenty of room for us and to entertain. 
    Madison, AL