Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what is a "Turbo butt"...

Options
...and how is it done?
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Turbo butts are cooked at higher temps, usually 350ish, indirect. This cuts cooking time down to 40-45 minutes/lb. I don't wrap my butts, but many people will around 160 until in hits finishing temp.

My go to method
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    It's running at a temp much higher than "usual" 250° - 285° temps.  Usually ran in the 300°-365°.  Usually a smaller butt is preferred, maybe 7lb and below.  Also you'll want to avoid regular sugar if going really high.  You can generally get to the 1hr per lb or sometimes 45 min a pound with turbo style.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I do a variation on this which is a half-turbo.  I start it off low and slow until the IT hits 160 or it looks like the stall is starting.  That maximizes the amount of smoke it'll pick up before the foil stage.  It also avoids the sugar issue @tarheelmatt is mentioning.  After I wrap in foil, I bump the temp up to 350 or so. 

For a 11-lb butt this usually results in a cook that can easily be done within a day if the butt is put on by 8 in the morning.  The best part is that after the butt is foiled the temp increase is basically linear with time.  So you can easily estimate when it will finish, and adjust your temps up or down accordingly.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    Options
    Thanks..I used to do that in my WSM.

so...one of the things that kamados are noted for is the juicy-ness and tenderness of low and slow cooks. Does the "Turbo-butt" method affect that?
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Not at all.  It is the only way I cook my butts now.  Makes life so much easier. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I do mine at about 320°. Never foil. Start a 7-8 pounder at 9-10 AM and finish by dinner time. I don't notice any difference between those and the 250° butts I used to do. Except I don't need a temp controller or an overnight cook.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have never had bad results with a pork butt on the egg, even the first attempt was killer and juicy. I suggest you try different methods, injections, and rubs. 

Sometimes I use Chris Lilly's injection recipe on butts, other times they simple get Bad Byron's

Edit: I take that back. One time I forget to put the CGS spider and stone in. The bottom three inches of the butt was as tough as shoe leather

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you keep the temp below 350°, you shouldn't have to worry about burned sugar. That's why I settled on 320°.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Pro Tip - for a good time google turbo butt 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I was hoping for something different than what I found.  Not much fun in that search, although it certainly does completely answer the OP's question!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I do a variation on this which is a half-turbo.  I start it off low and slow until the IT hits 160 or it looks like the stall is starting.  That maximizes the amount of smoke it'll pick up before the foil stage.  It also avoids the sugar issue @tarheelmatt is mentioning.  After I wrap in foil, I bump the temp up to 350 or so. 

For a 11-lb butt this usually results in a cook that can easily be done within a day if the butt is put on by 8 in the morning.  The best part is that after the butt is foiled the temp increase is basically linear with time.  So you can easily estimate when it will finish, and adjust your temps up or down accordingly.
    You & I are one the same exact page, that's exactly how I do it!!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I go between 325-350 and it averages about 45 minutes per pound. This is the only way I do them anymore. Then double foil and in to a cooler with towels.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Only way I've done them. Doing one this Saturday for the NFL games.

Never had a problem with my Dizzy Dust at 350.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I was hoping for something different than what I found.  Not much fun in that search, although it certainly does completely answer the OP's question!
    Yeah actually a pretty clean search thanks to all the egghead threads but I thought the innuendo was funny :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Turbo butt is what you get in when the kids go out in the yard for a few.......
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited January 2018
    Options
  • etherdome
    Options
    Lol. Sure has been a lot of jiggling on this forum today. 
    Upstate SC
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    i like this turbo method will give it a try. So am I correct for saying turbo butts will be the same as low and slow, but is that the same for ribs and brisket or is turbo not recommended for them?
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • etherdome
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You can absolutely do ribs. I would say probably not recommended for brisket. Search search turbo ribs on here. Many threads
    Upstate SC
  • mlc2013
    Options
    disabled Jupiter Jim
    I can not disagree with the adjustable rigs i love mine. I will be trying this turbo thing (new to me) but i am a new egger so everything is new to me. I love brisket and the first 1 I did took 12.5 hours for 15lbs pre trimmed and 4 hours in cooler. if I could cut that down to under 12 hours total time that would be great (of I course I would normally say without sacrificing tase but my first brisket wasn't the best brisket I ever ate)
    Long Island NY    
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    Low and slow (225 deg max) is the only way to smoke a Butt otherwise you're just cooking it.  Why is everybody in such a hurry?  After a few getting up in the middle of the nights (not my favorite thing to do) I figured out to start the Butt at 5PM usually takes between 18 - 20 hours.  I Never foil, then FTC until Dinner time.  It took me awhile to get this routine down (I'm a slow learner) but it works.  The Flame Boss 200 keeps everything on track while I sleep.  Nowadays I don't even wait up worried about the cook.  Low and Slow Baby!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• mlc2013
    Options
    Low and slow (225 deg max) is the only way to smoke a Butt otherwise you're just cooking it.  Why is everybody in such a hurry?  After a few getting up in the middle of the nights (not my favorite thing to do) I figured out to start the Butt at 5PM usually takes between 18 - 20 hours.  I Never foil, then FTC until Dinner time.  It took me awhile to get this routine down (I'm a slow learner) but it works.  The Flame Boss 200 keeps everything on track while I sleep.  Nowadays I don't even wait up worried about the cook.  Low and Slow Baby!!
     How much did that butt weigh and it looks great 
    Long Island NY    
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    It left the store at 9LBS...Thanks!!!  My wife says it was the best one yet.  I cooked it for a friends Celebration of Life Dinner.  They have a BBQ judge in the family (I did not know this) word got back to me that he said it was some of the best pulled pork he ever had...I'd rather have my friend back!! 
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• mlc2013
    Options
     Ironic I made my first slow cooked ribs for a celebration of life dinner agreed would rather have my friend back then all of the compliments I got on the ribs. I will definitely try my own comparison between low n slow and turbo side-by-side once I get my second egg all set up this way I know Butts should be very similar and same rub.  And I will be the judge for my taste to ser which I prefer 
    Long Island NY    
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options