Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone smash burgers?

Options
2»

Comments

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Thanks @HeavyG and @milesvdustin . I'll try some of those things...
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited January 2018
    Options

When I get my blackstone fired up (after the house is built) i will do a picture tutorial of how we did it when I worked there. 
    Please title it "Smash Burgers - how I do it"

Good luck with the house and marriage if you are married. I will never go through it again! 
    @milesvdustin
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

kl8ton said:

Good luck with the house and marriage if you are married. I will never go through it again! 

@kl8ton Marriage or building a house?  

Phoenix 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Haha we moved in last week. Built a pole barn house, did it myself. We are still married! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Options
    If you don’t have a black stone and want smash burgers is a cast iron skillet sufficient or should I go with a cast iron griddle. Really want to try this and I got 2 bge’s and a gasser 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Danny71 said:
    If you don’t have a black stone and want smash burgers is a cast iron skillet sufficient or should I go with a cast iron griddle. Really want to try this and I got 2 bge’s and a gasser 
    For 20+ years until I got my 22" Blackstone I used to just use a carbon steel crepe pan sized for the burner of my kitchen stove. It had practically no sidewalls so it was easy to do the smash and flip with the spatula.

Skillets will work fine. A griddle just makes it easier to do multiple burgers at a time and its lack of sidewalls does make  maneuvering a little easier.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Options
    Heavy G thank you
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    What heat setting are people using for these (also is 2oz the "best" size)?
    Near San Francisco in California
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Danny71 said:

Short of a BS, I'd say a CI griddle on the gasser.  You'll have good heat control, and even able to do different temp zones from side to side.

That ^ was a little painful to type, but really a BS is a gasser with plate steel and no lid.
    Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    baychilla said:
    What heat setting are people using for these (also is 2oz the "best" size)?
    i turn the bs on to the highest setting to get the most char as quick as possible
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gtcharlie
    Options
    blasting said:
    Danny71 said:

Short of a BS, I'd say a CI griddle on the gasser.  You'll have good heat control, and even able to do different temp zones from side to side.

That ^ was a little painful to type, but really a BS is a gasser with plate steel and no lid.

Agree with this.  I have a DCS gas grill that gets awfully dang hot.  I find the key to doing them this way is the same as when I do them inside-  make sure you let the cast iron pan sit in the grill (or oven) for about 15-20 minutes with the gas on so it is scalding hot when you start cooking.  Really gives that crust which makes the burger so great.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I have a circular CI lodge burger press or weight if you may with a handle. I have small squares of parchment paper that I have ready, as soon as the ball of meat is on the HOT griddle, lay the paper on the ball and smash it with the cast iron press. I hold and press the patty for a few seconds to get the crust. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    So the CI piece I put on the Egg to do gets so hot that the seasoning burns off. Am I going too hot, allowing that to happen. Has the season burnt off of anyone else’s CI doing a BS-type of sear?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Got Ribs on and now I want burgers. Again 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    When I worked at steak n shake, the trick was to let one side of your meat ball or puck sit and cook for 20-30 seconds, then flip and smash. The partly cooked spot on the back kept the spatula from sticking as the grease and fat was melted there. 

Another tip, when smashing, dont just mash the thing flat from the top. We would smash from the outside to create a thin edge with a thicker middle. This gave you a way to slide the spatula off the patty from the side back to the middle as you lifted to prevent pulling the meat up. 

Grill needs to be HOT and dont use any oil. Need that instant sear to happen, also helps hold the patty down after smashing. 

When I get my blackstone fired up (after the house is built) i will do a picture tutorial of how we did it when I worked there. 
    Looking forward to the tutorial, thanks in advance.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Its gonna be a bit, currently unpacking our crap in this house i just built. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)