Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hole for dome thermometer

I have a third party thermometer the stem of which is too big to go into the hole in the dome of my LBGE. Is it possible to enlarge that hole? If so, what is needed.

Also how much of the sensing stem must be exposed inside the dome? I think the stem is two-two and a half inches long at most.
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Yeah I’d buy a new thermometer. I purchased mine for $30 and it works great. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited January 2018
    I just purchased a 3" Tel-Tru dial for my offset smoker this evening from the St. Louis BBQ Store. In the link below they have a Tel-Tru thermometer that will fit your egg for $20. It doesn't get any cheaper for a Tel-Tru.

Edit:

Okay I double checked and the 5" stem is $20. You can put spacer behind the dial to save $5

The standard 3.5" stem is $25. 

http://www.stlbbqstore.com/tel-tru-lt225r-3.5/

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Carbide masonary bit would do it easily, but theres always a bit of risk
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    “If so, what is needed.”

a carbide drill bit, and a spare dome. 

Do not do this. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Can I (sincerely) ask what you are hoping to achieve? The Tel-tru therms are very durable and accurate. Easy to recalibrate if they are off. If you’re trying to mount an Ashcroft or something similar, it may be overkill. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    OK, I get it.

Just a point of clarification ...and perhaps consideration--I like cheap it's true but i also value quality. I have a LBGE that has been neglected for years. I have no experience with kamados or BGE's.

I have stated repeatedly that I am looking for used part or "cheap" parts, if you will, because I want to bring this Egg online just to see how and if it will work.

Then
    I'll replaced the used part or the cheap parts and try to bring this unit back to some semblance of its former glory.

But at a certain point...as with most things...you can't determine if the thing is functional when so many parts are missing or non-functional. 
    Instagram
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    follow this video......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVTog-Rpb9M

WeberWho said:
    I just purchased a 3" Tel-Tru dial for my offset smoker this evening from the St. Louis BBQ Store. In the link below they have a Tel-Tru thermometer that will fit your egg for $20. It doesn't get any cheaper for a Tel-Tru.

Edit:

Okay I double checked and the 5" stem is $20. You can put spacer behind the dial to save $5

The standard 3.5" stem is $25. 

http://www.stlbbqstore.com/tel-tru-lt225r-3.5/

they need to up date the info in the description in the link.  primo and kjoe have 3/8" holes for screw in models. 

I don't like the fixed, screw in thermometers. they can get in the way and take valuable cooking space. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Boring out the thermo hole is simple - the ceramic is relativly soft, and you already have the pilot hole.

However, as simple as it is,  it's just not worth the gamble.

Phoenix 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    You should be good to go if you don't see any cracks in the base or dome. (Even if it does have a crack in the base or dome it's still functional. Just need to be way more cautious with embers and sparks. I wouldn't suggest it though) There are plenty of people using their clay kamados from the 1960's still. Your smoker should be 100% functional. Keep looking for used parts and you'll have a nice used smoker in your hands 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • I wouldn’t worry about the thermometer if you are just trying to see if it works. As @WeberWho said, if there are not cracks on the dome or base, it will work. Cracks on the fire ring or platesetter or things like that can be easily worked around or ignored. If it starts a fire and can hold the lump safely, it works. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    if it breaks please don't create a "devastated 2" thread
  • I bet plenty of people on this forum claim experience trying to insert big things into holes that are too small for them.  Not sure I'd trust the accuracy of those stories.  Amirite?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I bet plenty of people on this forum claim experience trying to insert big things into holes that are too small for them.  Not sure I'd trust the accuracy of those stories.  Amirite?
    Probably also many failed attempts at putting square pegs in round holes.
    I'd just get a smaller thermo.  I have a couple of the smokeware 3" thermos and really like them.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DWFII
    Probably also many failed attempts at putting square pegs in round holes.

Well, I'm good at that--that's the accepted, and Traditional and hallowed  procedure in my Trade.

:) 
    Instagram
  • DWFII
    Yeah, I like the idea of just using the third party therm I have, even though it sticks 5-6" into the interior...if it is accurate. I can always pull it out and stuff the hole with wadded up aluminum or stick a remote probe through the hole or simply rely on a grid level probe.

Thanks for all the constructive advice....

For all those inclined to snark, etc...I would point out that to buy a similar rig, new,  would take up more than twice the income I, my wife, and my rescued greyhound have to live on in any given month. Bless you all.
    Instagram
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    It seems that you have a bge or parts that has no warranty so I don't think it matters what you do. Follow the vid above and once you get it up and running report back. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the 2.5 inch stemmed tel tru thermos are not accurate in the egg, the sensing area on the stem sits too close to the ceramic and throws off the readings. i do use one but its about 13 percent off compared to the standard thermo. the temp sensing area is part way hidden by the ceramic.  now whatever your thermo is, you need to check it with a 4 inch thermo and compare
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Someone with a severely cracked dome or base should try and drill a hole and let us know how it worked. 
  • nolaegghead
    Wonder how they got the hole in there in the first place, hmmmm..... ;)

Yes, masonry bit, medium to high speed. 

Here's a guy that drilled a bunch of test holes in a broken dome.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/467931#Comment_467931

Every dome thermo I put in there gets bent and ruined by me loading up the egg. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    @MaskedMarvel Remove the retaining clip on the thermo and it will slide out before bending.
    If you still want to drill, covering the pilot hole with a masking or parcel tape may help to minimise glaze chipping around the hole?  I was also wondering if a needle file would work?
    canuckland
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    @MaskedMarvel Remove the retaining clip on the thermo and it will slide out before bending.
    Maybe a side effect of my cast iron dual level grate...

It got a lot of flack  around here but I still absolutely love it. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I'm sure the "don't even think of it" crowd will cringe when I say this, but I enlarged the thermo hole in my LBGE about a year and a half ago. No problems to date!

I just used an ordinary drill bit, not even a carbide tip. I drilled it out slowly and carefully. It was easy. I certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone else try it, because if they screwed it up they would hate me. But it worked for me.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I would be happy to fly out and help you get everything set up for a nice pair of bespoke boots!!! :)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• nolaegghead
    OhioEgger said:
    I'm sure the "don't even think of it" crowd will cringe when I say this, but I enlarged the thermo hole in my LBGE about a year and a half ago. No problems to date!

I just used an ordinary drill bit, not even a carbide tip. I drilled it out slowly and carefully. It was easy. I certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone else try it, because if they screwed it up they would hate me. But it worked for me.
    Nuffin wrong with that if you don't care about bit wear.
    edited January 2018
    OhioEgger said:

Ceramic drilling is fun! 

I widened out the 2 holes at the back of my commode (that's "terlet" to Archie Bunker, a reference that I'm sure will date me and fly over many of y'all's heads).  Those holes required a good reaming to accommodate the larger bolts required to attach a Toto Washlet (google it!) in replacement of the OEM Kohler seat.  The unit was sort of my white whale, in an Ahab/Moby sort of way and when I finally acquired the target, I was crestfallen when the attachment wouldn't take without a ceramic drill bit's persuasion. 

SWMBO was very skeptical of the entire project, quite wary of devastation and potential unintended consequences.  The drilling went slowly and carefully (as you recommend) and was not easy.  But, needless to say, upon successful completion of the project, everyone's been quite tickled that I took it on!

Drill, Baby, Drill!
    It's a 302 thing . . .