Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate Suggestions

Options
Tsyras
Tsyras Posts: 11
edited January 2018 in EggHead Forum
I had GrillGrates for a while, and loved everything about them, except for the fact they are aluminum. I don't have them anymore, and while you may call the GrillGrates a crutch, I grilled better with them. I hate grilling on the standard included SS grid.

I have looked for alternates that are not aluminum or cast iron. I have had cast iron in a grill before and hated it. Basically, I want something that is like GrillGrates (indirect cooking, flareups control, and even the high temperature for the nice grill marks), but not made of aluminum/CI. Is there anything like that out there?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I have a sneaky feeling we are about to hear about such a product.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Unfortunately I'm of no help with your question.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Have you tried cooking raised direct or raised indirect?
    Look over the link below for photos.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-large-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Tsyras
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have owned a BGE for about 1.5 years now and have lurked here since my purchase. I made an account to ask a question and you get on here to be insulting instead of providing a constructive reply.
  • Tsyras
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-large-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store

I own the PSWoo, but mainly use it for easy removal of the platesetter. I tried cooking raised and had poor results.
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    I cook with a PSWOO and it works great for my cooks.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    You could always go bigger and thicker with the grate. Here's a few pictures of Hotches grate below. I have the same and it's heavy duty. It might help with a couple of your issues and work well with your plate setter. 

Hi-Que S/S with 3/8" rods on 3/8" spread

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    And you can open one side to add lump/more smoking wood or chips. Heavy duty and heavy.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    anyone tried this? rated at 550F max though...
    https://youtu.be/tB-GqMU8j6k
    canuckland
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Tsyras said:
    I have owned a BGE for about 1.5 years now and have lurked here since my purchase. I made an account to ask a question and you get on here to be insulting instead of providing a constructive reply.
    My bad I guess, but you refuse SS and cast iron and loved the grill grates. Just buy some more grill grates. I’ll keep an eye out for some magic grates for you. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Tsyras said:
    Photo Egg said:

I own the PSWoo, but mainly use it for easy removal of the platesetter. I tried cooking raised and had poor results.
    Every style and type of cooking has a skill level and learning curve. Really helpful to know what issues you are having with what types of food. You are providing little information. Is it a health/safety concern you have cooking on the aluminum GrillGrates?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options

Tsyras said:
    Really...this comment was insulting to you?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I guess I don’t understand. You like the grill grates, but for some crazy reason don’t like that they are anodized aluminum. The very fact that they are anodizing aluminum is big part of why they are so effective. The grates are an exceptional conductor of heat and their design reduces flare ups like you seemed to indicate. I assumed you were being clever, maybe I was wrong. Maybe. Good luck though. If it were me, I’d use the very effective grill grates, but I don’t see an issue with them being aluminum. 
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I am not advocating one way or the other...or saying there is any validity in the claim that aluminum is not healthy (even long term toxic). But those claims are out there...with some supporting evidence, enough that perhaps anyone would/should be a little chary of cooking on it. 
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ive cooked on aluminum my whole life, even still use my great grandmothers aluminum sauce pans. after a 4 generation self inflicted test the results are in =)=)=) dont do it man =)=)=) pretty sure theres those on this forum that can back me up with this =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    searing, for what its worth, stainless raised grid, temps over 800 dome.  cast iron, regular height with temps lower, 600 dome. aluminum, not enough experience on the egg, assuming 500 dome plus minus
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    Options
    DWFII said:
    I am not advocating one way or the other...or saying there is any validity in the claim that aluminum is not healthy (even long term toxic). But those claims are out there...with some supporting evidence, enough that perhaps anyone would/should be a little chary of cooking on it. 
    Ah, I see now. You are concerned about the health and safety effects of aluminum. I just don’t concern myself with that at all. Lots of beer and soda consumed out of aluminum not to mention beer can chicken, which kinda grossed me out due to the cans being painted. Very common for restaurants to use aluminum pans too. There is likely a potential issue with everything we cook upon or consume food out of. I just figure I will die from something else first. I’m fairly reckless though. As I said earlier, good luck with the search. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Ah, I see now. You are concerned about the health and safety effects of aluminum. I just don’t concern myself with that at all. Lots of beer and soda consumed out of aluminum not to mention beer can chicken, which kinda grossed me out due to the cans being painted. Very common for restaurants to use aluminum pans too. There is likely a potential issue with everything we cook upon or consume food out of. I just figure I will die from something else first. I’m fairly reckless though. As I said earlier, good luck with the search. 
    It's not @DWFII that started this post or has issues with GrillGrates.
    But I 100% agree with you. The little exposure on seasoned extruded aluminum using the GrillGrates seems silly compared to all the other contact in my life. The only real study info I have seen on the related subject is aluminum absorption from under arm deodorant. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    DWFII said:
    It's not @DWFII that started this post or has issues with GrillGrates.
    But I 100% agree with you. The little exposure on seasoned extruded aluminum using the GrillGrates seems silly compared to all the other contact in my life. The only real study info I have seen on the related subject is aluminum absorption from under arm deodorant. 
    Oops! Duh! Well either way, it’s not a concern to me. Thanks for the heads up. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Welcome to the forum.  

Most members still use the stock grate that you hate, and can cook circles around me.  You indicated that you were unhappy with your results, and I'm wondering if focusing on techniques would be more productive.  

My point - with mad skills, you can cook on anything!

Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    blasting said:

Welcome to the forum.  

Most members still use the stock grate that you hate, and can cook circles around me.  You indicated that you were unhappy with your results, and I'm wondering if focusing on techniques would be more productive.  

Where’s the famous shopping cart. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    At NOLA's
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    You could always go bigger and thicker with the grate. Here's a few pictures of Hotches grate below. I have the same and it's heavy duty. It might help with a couple of your issues and work well with your plate setter. 

Great grate.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    blasting said:

Welcome to the forum.  

Finally, a really good and literal LOL!  Thanks, @blasting !  Needed that today!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I noticed that the Charbroil Infrared grills use a somewhat similar grate on their gassers. Quick search it looks like they have a round "patio bistro" grill that may work on the egg:

https://www.charbroil.com/cooking-grate-29102148

Here is another site with better pictures. 

https://www.grillparts.com/charbroil/patio-bistro/default.asp?product_id=29102148

It may fit on the fire ring of a large egg, or you could just set it on top of the stock grate. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    blasting said:

Welcome to the forum.  

I really like the steak and shovel photo.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Tsyras
    Options
    Tsyras said:
    My bad I guess, but you refuse SS and cast iron and loved the grill grates. Just buy some more grill grates. I’ll keep an eye out for some magic grates for you. 
    Np, I guess you get a lot of shills on this type of forum. Also, in response to the aluminum stuff, I have tried to cut it out now that I have small children. I figure whatever aluminum can do to me personally, its already been done.

I really liked the look of those SS grates posted by WeberWho.

In response to cooking technique, I will be the first to tell anyone I am not very good yet, and I am trying to learn all the time. I noticed on those SS grates it was raised by the PSwoo. When I tried grilling my chicken raised it felt like it took forever to grill and didn't turn out well.

What kind of dome temps are needed when cooking raised like that?
  • Tsyras
    Options
    WeberWho said:

I assume this is the grate shown here?

http://www.high-que.com/Luxury-Stainless-Cooking-Grid-for-Large-Big-Green-Egg_p_18.html

Fairly pricey, but it looks nice with that hinge. I think I may try this.
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Tsyras said:
    WeberWho said:

I assume this is the grate shown here?

http://www.high-que.com/Luxury-Stainless-Cooking-Grid-for-Large-Big-Green-Egg_p_18.html

Fairly pricey, but it looks nice with that hinge. I think I may try this.
    I got this one for a gift for a family member. It's really heavy duty and that thing weighs 14lbs. For the large.  Being able to lift one side up to add lump or chunks is nice