Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Rib Rubs

A former boss of mine liked the pics of the Chicken that I texted him yesterday. In fact he asked for the recipes for my rib rub. The only problem is that I am one of those rare people that never cook ribs. Due to a blood lipid condition I usually cook proteins that have lower fat contents. Anyhow what are people's standby favorite rubs for ribs? I imagine that he was talking about pork ribs but we could compile separate lists for pork and beef, I already know that he doesn't do lamb. He was one of the better bosses that I had and I don't mind doing favors for him.

Comments

• I'm a big fan of the simply marvelous cherry rub for all things pork. For beef ribs, I always try different rubs but end up coming back to spog. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Okay I also searched and found Mickey’s Coffee Rub? Is that better than Redeye Express?
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I haven’t made pork ribs in so long I can’t remember.   For beef ribs I just do 50/50 SnP w a little EVOO and apple cider vinegar before putting the SnP on it.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    This is one of my favorite rib rubs:
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe

For a commercial rub, Dizzy Pig Raging River. Surprisingly it was developed for salmon, but shines on pork ribs nicely.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Mickey’s coffee rub is the cats pajamas 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• I like that meat church honey hog on pork and the meat church holy cow on beef 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    SaltySam said:
    Mickey’s coffee rub is the cats pajamas 
    The cat has pajamas? Pics please
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    It's not just a rub, but a rub and a sauce, but these are the best ribs I've ever had from the Smoke & Spice cookbook!  I didn't post the recipes in my post, but someone posted the recipes farther down on the page.
  • Eat BBQ Zero to Hero is a great pork rib rub.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Okay I just ordered some ancho Chile powder to make Mickey’s and some Simply Marvelous Cherry from Amazon. What little extra in cost I paid is made up in tire rubber saved.
  • I like Mickey's coffee rub on lots of stuff, but have never tried on ribs. I'd be concerned with how well it plays with sauce, if you go that route.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Gulfcoastguy
    The orders were for personal use though I think Mickey’s might do well with beef ribs. For the most part I don’t do Sauce.
  • You'll like Mickey's. I made a rack of pork with it last night that was superb.
    Stillwater, MN
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    Raging River plus pepper and spray with apple cider and for foiling use parkay with a little brown sugar
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Hers a variety. Some are more aggressive than others. 

Bad Byron’s butt rub
    plowboys yardbird 
    meat Church honey hog
    suckle busters hog waller 
    lamberts sweet rub o mine
    dizzy dust
    john henrys honey rib rub
    three little pigs (pick one)
    lanes sweet heat. 

The first two two are more aggressive than the others. You can also layer a couple rubs. I often add some gun powder or swamp venom on the top of my rib rub just to add some pop. 

Good Luck

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2018
    If I had to pick one as of recent, it's Oakridge Secret Weapon, my favorite commercial AP rub.

Plowboys Yardbird is honorable mention, another crowd pleaser.

Both of these are a perfect grind, easy to apply.  And I have no oversalting worries doing so, the night before.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Unless I add rub toward the end, the only flavors that I think really survive a 5-6 hour smoke are salt, black pepper and heat (eg red pepper).  Sugar to some limited degree as well, but not really as sweetness, more like bark if we’re only talking about adding things pre-cook.

If it’s adding flavors to ribs that you’re after, I would suggest adding later in the cook either as rub, baste, glaze or wrap.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    I can buy Plowboys Yardbird locally. I was trying to buy Meat Church Honey Hog hot but Amazon said that they wouldn't be able to ship that until the 13th so I passed. Maybe next Amazon Prime order. I am just trying to branch out from DP though I have received several compliments using their products, especially Redeye Express.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     For pork ribs I like to use "THE BBQ Rub" from Killer Hogs. I put that over a yellow mustard slather. For beef? Well, that is more complex. Beef ribs or Brisket get a "what's that there sauce" application. Then an AP of fine grind SPOG (my own blend has a couple other things in it). On top of that, a pepper/paprika based fine bbq rub (I like The BBQ Rub by Killer Hogs) and then to top it off an application of a course grind steak/chop blend . I use Montreal style.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I use a local rub most of the time but as far readily available rubs, my vote is Jamaican Firewalk. 
  • You'll like Mickey's. I made a rack of pork with it last night that was superb.
    @StillH2OEgger. I just picked up all the stuff for mickeys rub, how is it on chicken? I wanna do some thighs tomorrow and baby back ribs the next day.
    @StillH2OEgger. I just picked up all the stuff for mickeys rub, how is it on chicken? I wanna do some thighs tomorrow and baby back ribs the next day.
    I think turkey and chicken is where it shines.
    Stillwater, MN
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited January 2018
    Oakridge BBQs' Dominator is outstanding on ribs. I've also used something similar to Mickeys' coffee rub, with a few additions. Here's my recipe;

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans 
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder 
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder 
    1 tsp. granulated garlic 
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin 
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar 
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed 
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice 
    4 tsp. kosher salt 
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    billyray said:
    Oakridge BBQs' Dominator is outstanding on ribs. I've also used something similar to Mickeys' coffee rub, with a few additions. Here's my recipe;

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans 
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder 
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder 
    1 tsp. granulated garlic 
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin 
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar 
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed 
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice 
    4 tsp. kosher salt 
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 

Thanks, as of Friday I will have all of those ingredients. I think another comparison trial is in order.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Big fan of TexasBBQrub Original and Grand Champion.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Here's another good one from Meathead, it's called Memphis Dust.

Ingredients

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup American paprika

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder

The ginger and the rosemary are key ingredients
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

Ribs, Killer Hogs or Texas BBQ rub grand champion.

Beef, Cash cow with holy cow.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Honey hog and add some salt 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Thanks for everyone who posted. I compiled the written rib rub recipes along with Simon &Garfunkel and forwarded them to my ex boss. I told him that I could recommend several commercial rubs also.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I just revisited this thread.  While Mickeys Coffee Rub IS the cats pajamas, for some reason I had it in my head that the question involved just rubs in general. Totally missed the rib rub specification.  My bad.  I’ve never put it on ribs either, and I’m not sure it would be the right profile for them. 

On chicken, turkey or steak though....this cat can vouch. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE