Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planning / Smoking Time for Brisket & Butt

Options
Evening and Happy New Year!  Have a birthday party that I am hosting this coming weekend for about 25-30 folks.  Wanting to do a Brisket and Butt for lunch around 1pm and am trying to figure out the best way to manage the timing and making sure the meal is fresh with only a large Egg to smoke on.   Any suggestions on how to attack this? I am smoking a 9lb flat Brisket and an 10lb butt.  Thanks for advice! 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm guessing you are able to cook both at the same time (two level cook).  With that, I always run with brisket over butt as it will likely need more attention than the butt and you preserve the brisket bark.  Fire up your calibrated dome thermo LBGE around 8 PM (fully loaded with lump well into the fire ring) to around 260-280*F and let it get stable (no vent movement for at least 45-60 minutes).  Load the butt around 10 PM and the brisket around 11 PM.  See where you are in the early AM ( 6 or so) and adjust from there.  The goal is to get the flat to finish (probe like buttah) around 2-4 hours before ready to slice on demand (to enable FTC) and the butt to finish just before ready to pull and serve.  (You can FTC the butt but not needed to complete the cook).  
    At the early am point you can dial up the temp to drive 'em home or slow it down to get there.  There is no "one size fits all" with any protein cook.  Adapt as you run and above all, have fun.
    P.S.  The cow/pig drive the cook.
    BTW- welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • biggreenrookie
    Options
    Appreciate the advice!  Hadn’t gotten a raised cooking grid yet but I am picking one up this week.  Will I still be able to preserve the bark on the Brisket with it raised?  Do you have any suggestions on wrapping the brisket and placing it back on? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I will send you some brisket info via PM. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • biggreenrookie
    Options
    Sounds like a plan!  Appreciate it! 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Are you set on brisket flat? Have you nailed that cook on its own? If so, center your cook on that and let the butt ride along, wrapping as needed.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • biggreenrookie
    Options
    @blind99. Not necessarily set on Brisket yet.  May do two butts but would like some variety.  
  • blind99
    Options

if you're not set on the brisket, may I suggest a pork butt and a chuckie?  you'd then have pulled pork and pulled beef, in two different styles.  pulled beef is really delicious, and easy to cook.

• biggreenrookie
    Options
    @blind99.  Never tried chuck before.    May be interesting.   May have to give that a shot.   Thanks!
  • blind99
    Options
    if you search the site you'll find lots of posts.  i season it, smoke it for awhile, then throw it in a pan with beer and sliced up peppers and onion and foil it tightly and cook until falling apart.  shred it all up and serve on rolls.  you'll see recipes for things like "pepper stout beef" and "pit beef" and such.  good luck and post pix!