Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New cast iron round griddle

Options
Finally made my way in to the Academy Sports that opened near me and couldn’t resist the 14” round cast iron griddle they had for $13

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-14-in-preseasoned-round-griddle#repChildCatid=27890

Seasoned it yesterday and tried cooking some bacon this morning, which came out great. My one question for the cast iron experts is when you season what kind of cloth do you use to apply the oil? I used paper towels like I do on my other cast iron, but this piece seemed to really tear them up and leave behind little pieces of the paper towel 

Large BGE
Huntsville, AL

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I use paper towels. I’ve had the same problem - I think as the seasoning builds it will be less of an issue. Nice score. I use my griddle often. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options

Looks like it was pre-seasoned and didn't require any seasoning.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

A few minutes with a palm sander does wonders for new cast iron.  Enjoy yoyr new griddle - that's a versatile piece.
    Phoenix 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I know where I’m going today!
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    Webass said:

Looks like it was pre-seasoned and didn't require any seasoning.

I still always give my new cast iron an initial seasoning and typically again after each use
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    I use scraps of an old T-shirt to apply the oil for seasoning my CI.
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    Does anybody know why the description states the following if it is just cast iron?

• Proposition 65 warning for California residents: WARNING - This product contains one or more chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I use old cotton t-shirts for initial seasoning.  Paper towels after I have it well seasoned.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    kaybee said:
    Does anybody know why the description states the following if it is just cast iron?

• Proposition 65 warning for California residents: WARNING - This product contains one or more chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    Pretty sure everything sold there is known by the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kaybee
    Options
    kaybee said:

Pretty sure everything sold there is known by the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects.
    Yah, I was wondering if there might be something specific rather than being an over protective nanny state thing.
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    kaybee said:
    kaybee said:

Yah, I was wondering if there might be something specific rather than being an over protective nanny state thing.
    It got discussed in this thread as well. And I decided it was worth the risk
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2152170#Comment_2152170

Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    Prop 65 was an initiative on the ballot in 1992 (IIRC) that required all businesses to post the warning if there was a chance that the list of chemicals 'known to the State of California' were in their products or on their premises. Because that list keeps growing, essentially ALL goods and or locations meet the requirement for the warning. In the case of cast iron, likely is triggered by the manufacturing process potentially leaving trace amounts of 'carcinogens' behind. Ballot initiatives in CA typically result in bad outcomes.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• kaybee
    Options
    Interesting, sorry for kind of high jacking the post.

I have never seen such a warning on cast iron up here in the frozen North so just wondered if it was something I should be more informed on. 

Now I am. 
    Thanks everyone.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    kaybee said:

Don't eat the skillet and you'll be fine. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser