Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
I am planning on a 6.5 Pork Butt cook tomorrow on my Egg and plan to put it on around 8 AM.   I was planning on about 250 to 275 dome temp, and then foiling and raising the temp to about 350 if needed to push through a stall as it needs to be done around 6 PM. (8 hours cooking time).  But then I just realized that my rub has 1/4 cup of brown sugar in it.  Should I be worried about scortching the sugar, although 1/4 cup doesn't seem like much to me. 

Or would I be better off using a rub with less sugar (other rub recipe has 2 tsp of sugar)?

Also, should I apply the rub tonight and let it sit overnight?

Thanks

Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Lately, I've been doing mine at 320°, 8 lb or so, starting at 9-10 AM and finishing at 5-6PM. Sugar's fine at that temp.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    I’ve personally never seen a benefit from applying the rub overnight. If you’re cooking a 6.5 pound butt startling at 8, there will be no need to wrap it and increase the heat. Just let that puppy cook at 275, and leave it unwrapped! The Egg will do the rest. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the quick help. One more ?, should I do a raised Indirect with my Woo (which raises the grill to the felt line), or stay with the lower, regular indirect position?  Thanks again
    Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Kjunbob said:
    Thanks for the quick help. One more ?, should I do a raised Indirect with my Woo (which raises the grill to the felt line), or stay with the lower, regular indirect position?  Thanks again
    Felt line indirect. You shouldn’t need the woo to get you to the felt line indirect though(?). The plate setter and the grid should put you there. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2018
    TURBO BUTTS.

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 (+ or -) hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!

Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, 
    then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil on the Egg. Also good with the coffee rub. 
    FTC afterwards.   

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Every time I've tried to push a piece of meat to finish with foil and raised temps, the results were not great. Right now a 4.85 pound is cooking at around 260. I plan to check IT around 6:30. It started at 9:00 which should give a finish around 7:00 based on previous cooks.
    For your butt, I would start around 05:00 and finish not later than 1800.
    Others report good results with hotter, faster cooks, but I lack their experience and skill so stick with what works.
    Cooking on the coast
  • Doing my first one tomorrow thanks for the tips fellers