Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Gatesville, TX - Cow House Creek

smbishop
smbishop Posts: 3,053
We are purchasing some land on Cow House Creek near Gatesville, and just wondering if any of you Eggers have any experience with the area.  Thanks!
Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• If this is raw land, make sure you have access to water.  If you are purchasing more than 10 acres then be sure and look into ag exemption status.  If land is already ag exempt, make sure the exemption is transferred to you.
    Gatesville area is really nice and will make a nice weekend getaway.    
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • smbishop
    @Austin Egghead

Thank you!  Hopefully the deal goes through.  Has well water and access to local water, we are looking into ag exempt.  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I just had a well drilled on my property, cost me 9k. I get 12-15 gallons a minute from it. I am a happy camper. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I dated a girl from Gatesville when I was at Fort Hood but I don't think that will help you.... =)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited October 2017
    Does this report have road access?  Also make sure water rights convey, mineral rights may not convey.  If you are buying from a local farmer/rancher then make sure you have a good real estate attorney and title company representing you.  
    If land mass is not enough to use for cattle ag exempt,  look into honey bee keeping or returning land to native conditions for grasses and wildlife.  The ag exempt will vary by county.
    Enjoy your piece of heaven.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Used to fish on the cow house when a kid (army brat).
    Used to hunt squirrels on the cow house as a kid.
    Had a customer run a Corolla off into the cow house about 25 years ago to see if it would float (it did not for very long).
    The cow house of Fort Hood runs along the impact area (lots of unexploded bombs / and artillery. 
    Damn, lots of crap I had not thought of in lots of years.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Familiar with the Cow House Creek area further west between Hamilton and Evant.  Pretty area with really good hunting, deer, dove, turkey and now hogs too.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• smbishop
    @Austin Egghead Road access, well with water rights, mineral rights, and it is currently ag exempt.  They don't have cattle, so not completely sure what they do.  I am very interested in the bees.

@Mickey

Yes, West of Fort Hood, hopefully there are no strays on the property!

@KennLee My first visit was today, so beautiful, had no idea it was so 'hilly'.  Lots of trees, beautiful creek, saw deer, they said a lot of turkey, deer, birds, etc.  I can see how there is really good hunting in the area.

• Mickey
    smbishop said:
    @Austin Egghead Road access, well with water rights, mineral rights, and it is currently ag exempt.  They don't have cattle, so not completely sure what they do.  I am very interested in the bees.

@Mickey

Yes, West of Fort Hood, hopefully there are no strays on the property!

@KennLee My first visit was today, so beautiful, had no idea it was so 'hilly'.  Lots of trees, beautiful creek, saw deer, they said a lot of turkey, deer, birds, etc.  I can see how there is really good hunting in the area.

Even today lots of ranchers run cows on Fort Hood and in the impact area. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smbishop
    Thank you everyone for your advice and comments.  We closed the week of Thanksgiving and spent Christmas vacation there.  Now, where to find Rockwood near Gatesville!  @Austin Egghead @Mickey @KennyLee

• Wow what a beautiful spot to call home. 
    Snellville, GA

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Love the photos... Congratulations
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Love the Doberman's pictures. Looked like they were having fun. Great photos of a really nice spot. Enjoy your new place.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Beautiful pictures of the property.  Any more for sale in the area.  Enough acres to hunt?
  • smbishop
    Beautiful pictures of the property.  Any more for sale in the area.  Enough acres to hunt?

Don't know of anything for sale close by.  We have 91 acres, lots of deer, and lots of hunting on adjacent properties.  We are looking into all option for keeping our ag exempt.
  • smbishop
    SamIAm2 said:
    Love the Doberman's pictures. Looked like they were having fun. Great photos of a really nice spot. Enjoy your new place.

Thank you!  The dogs are my wife's love, one of them is a Champion, the other is still a puppy, she loves showing them...
  • smbishop
    Photo Egg said:
    Love the photos... Congratulations

Thank you Darian, I am here in TX, for good. :)

• smbishop
    Wow what a beautiful spot to call home. 

It is an amazing spot, thank you!
  • Mickey
    Just do like the rest of us and order it. 

• Mickey
    A couple of places sell in Austin 

• smbishop
    Mickey said:
    Just do like the rest of us and order it. 

Agree, just like to buy from local businesses any chance I get...

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Totally awesome.  I was a Ft Hood from 95-98.  That was a cool part of the country once you got away from the cities around there.  Your place looks spectacular.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • smbishop
    thetrim said:
    Totally awesome.  I was a Ft Hood from 95-98.  That was a cool part of the country once you got away from the cities around there.  Your place looks spectacular.
    Thank you!  It is a beautiful place in TX, away from the cities, I agree!  Thank you for your service!