Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The term "bespoke" was a foreign term to me

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited January 2018 in Off Topic
I had to look it up. Then I went back to @DWFII's posts and talk about being impressed! Any eggers wanting to buy custom made "cowboy boots" or shoes ought to take a look! 
https://www.instagram.com/dwfrommer/
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    British origin, so that makes sense.  Some very cool stuff being hand made by @DWFII no doubt.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    I see he was in the 82 airborne, must have been at ft brag in the 60's
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Bespoke has become recently overused in my opinion like craft and artisanal. We could stand to use these words less often.
    Mountain View, CA
  • DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited January 2018
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Bespoke has become recently overused in my opinion like craft and artisanal. We could stand to use these words less often.

To the contrary, we could stand to use them more rigourously and in a context where they actually mean something. People in contemporary society tend to dislike excellence in any form. So we dumb down the meanings of words and reduce all good things to the lowest common denominator.

FWIW, "bespoke" has been associated with the Trade (shoemaking) since time out of mind--the 18th century, at least.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    DWFII said:
    dmourati said:

To the contrary, we could stand to use them more rigourously and in a context where they actually mean something. People in contemporary society tend to dislike excellence in any form. So we dumb down the meanings of words and reduce all good things to the lowest common denominator.

FWIW, "bespoke" has been associated with the Trade (my Trade) since time out of mind--the 18th century, at least.
    We're in agreement.
    Mountain View, CA
  • DWFII
    Options
    RRP said:
    I had to look it up. Then I went back to @DWFII's posts and talk about being impressed! Any eggers wanting to buy custom made "cowboy boots" or shoes ought to take a look! 
    https://www.instagram.com/dwfrommer/

British origin, so that makes sense.  Some very cool stuff being hand made by @DWFII no doubt.

Thank you for the kind words.
    Instagram
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Dangit @RRP get out of my wallet.  Not much of a boot guy but those dress shoes got me thinking.  I read up on his site I don’t know if I am patient enough to wait.  Plus I don’t even want to know what they would set me back.  I’ll keep dreaming. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Quality boots that I'd wear with confidence. Nice work and feed @DWFII
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Beautiful work.  I'm impressed.
    Options
    some nice work there. do you have a source for the polarbear hair, my stock is getting increasingly low

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Very nice work. Too bad I only wear sneakers, Sanuk's, and sandals. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • DWFII
    Options
    some nice work there. do you have a source for the polarbear hair, my stock is getting increasingly low

Thank you!

I suspect every fisherman would like a source. I think it's illegal in the US...or was last time I heard.

I haven't tied seriously for some 25 years. Before that I tied well enough to trade flies (of the sort you see on my IG feed) for custom built McNeese fly rods.  McNeese sold or gave me most of that bear...and it was prime--no "broomed" tips...and a fair portion of is was dyed--red, orange purple.

Then I quit fly fishing entirely about twenty years ago until about six years ago when I took up the spey rod. McNeese was again an influence there--he had worked with Jim Green and Les Eichorn and others to develop a 14'  rod for the Dean, and they were the first Am. made spey rods built here in the US...that I know of.

About two years ago my balance started going and I ended up in the water almost as often as an ouzel. Esp. in these big brawling rivers of Oregon--the Deschutes, the Rogue, the Umpqua--and wading deep for steelhead. And i had some medical issues.

So, reluctantly, I hung it all up again...probably for good.

But all that's still a big part of my identity and I still own a single-handed trout graphite rod that I built and a trout spey--11'9"--and a steelhead spey--13'2". And some pretty nice English reels.

Like Egging, however, I couldn't afford to get into it from scratch...if I wanted or had to...now that I'm retired.

Instagram
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Very cool.  True craftsmanship.  A little nicer than my elephant skinned Tony Lamas! 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    DWFII said:

Thank you!

I suspect every fisherman would like a source. I think it's illegal in the US...or was last time I heard.

I haven't tied seriously for some 25 years. Before that I tied well enough to trade flies (of the sort you see on my IG feed) for custom built McNeese fly rods.  McNeese sold or gave me most of that bear...and it was prime--no "broomed" tips...and a fair portion of is was dyed--red, orange purple.

Then I quit fly fishing entirely about twenty years ago until about six years ago when I took up the spey rod. McNeese was again an influence there--he had worked with Jim Green and Les Eichorn and others to develop a 14'  rod for the Dean, and they were the first Am. made spey rods built here in the US...that I know of.

About two years ago my balance started going and I ended up in the water almost as often as an ouzel. Esp. in these big brawling rivers of Oregon--the Deschutes, the Rogue, the Umpqua--and wading deep for steelhead. And i had some medical issues.

So, reluctantly, I hung it all up again...probably for good.

But all that's still a big part of my identity and I still own a single-handed trout graphite rod that I built and a trout spey--11'9"--and a steelhead spey--13'2". And some pretty nice English reels.

Like Egging, however, I couldn't afford to get into it from scratch...if I wanted or had to...now that I'm retired.

sorry to hear about the medical problems, i dread the day i cannot cast any more. my source used pre 1972 hides and had some great colors, i try not to tie more than a half dozen flies with it a year now which gets me thru a few weeks when the smelt arejust entering the lake, very small and transluscent young of years. mostly fish for native landocked atlantic salmon now.  i do need to learn the double hand spey, my right arm elbow and shoulder isnt what it used to be for single handed casting
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DWFII
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sorry to hear about the medical problems, i dread the day i cannot cast any more. my source used pre 1972 hides and had some great colors, i try not to tie more than a half dozen flies with it a year now which gets me thru a few weeks when the smelt arejust entering the lake, very small and transluscent young of years. mostly fish for native landocked atlantic salmon now.  i do need to learn the double hand spey, my right arm elbow and shoulder isnt what it used to be for single handed casting
    Arm and shoulder problems were the reason I quit the first time. I am only 5'7"+/- and I was casting a 10' for a 9 most of the day.

Medical problems were mostly age related and an allergy to some meds the VA prescribed. Not inconsequential but nothing life threatening beyond what any invasive surgery poses, for the most pat.

Go to spey and you'll never go back--longer casts, less effort, more river (some good casters can hit 80'-90' with trees not ten feet behind them)...although forget about dry fly.
    Instagram
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    beautiful  boots.  thank for the link.....I do wear boots
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • DWFII
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments and conversation, lads.
    Instagram