Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

14 lb. fresh Turkey on the egg - help w smoke...

Options
Well it was really good.  Probably my 5th or 6th.  Best yet.  Need to work on my smoke.  I put one big chunk of apple and 5 small chunks (big - tennis ball size - small - little bigger than a golf ball).  I let the shi&&y smoke burn off (20 minutes) and then put the turkey on - it was still smoking fairly heavy.  After 15 minutes smoke was very minimal and while the turkey was super moist and good smoke was lighter than I would like.  Any ideas or input is much appreciated.  Cooked around 300 until it was done.  

I have heard to wait for the blue smoke and I think I do but what I am not sure of is it still getting smoke if you don't visibly see smoke?  I guess I can try more wood but I hate to have too much smoke....

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Think of 'smoke' as a spice, like salt, pepper etc ... it's suppose to be subtle, the meat is the 'star' ... without even being able to be at your dinner table, I can tell you your 'smoke' was perfect.

Also, just because you don't 'see' smoke' coming from your pit doesn't mean you aren't smoking - you most definitely are .. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    You definitely loaded enough smoke wood-how much of the smoke wood actually burned during the course of the fire?  I load down thru the lump load and toward the center back as that is the initial direction of fire travel for me.  I also add one last chunk (bigger than a golf ball) just behind where I lit the fire when adding the hardware.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Paul B.
    Paul B. Posts: 57
    Options
    Thanks guys!  the smoke was not obtrusive but I thought a little more would have been good.  I will probably try one more larger size piece of wood behind where I started the fire next time.  What is your go to wood for turkey??
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    I have found cherry to be good  for us and usually will add 1 chunk of oak or hickory. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Paul B. said:
    Thanks guys!  the smoke was not obtrusive but I thought a little more would have been good.  I will probably try one more larger size piece of wood behind where I started the fire next time.  What is your go to wood for turkey??
    My choice for turkey is apple alone or apple and some pecan. Personally you need to be careful with poultry as it will absorb smoke like a sponge and too much smoke can turn poultry bitter.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Another vote for cherry for poultry.  Really yields that dark mahogany color.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Cherry is good for dark skin. Peach and pecan are better if your goal is a smoke profile. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Paul B.
    Paul B. Posts: 57
    Options
    Cool good recomendations!