Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon or other seafood online?

Options
Anybody ever buy salmon or seafood online? Started looking around for some places to buy in bulk but prices are crazy high compared to Kroger and sams.
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Just bought some lobster tails from Maine Lobster Now.  Got some 24-28 oz Giant lobster tails, and the lobster Mac & cheese for 4. Delivers in 1 day to your porch in a styrofoam box! 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    This place is great. They vacuum sealed and flash froze some salmon and halibut that we caught. Shipped it on the date we wanted. A year later it was as good as the day we caught it. The key is to cook it as soon as it thaws. Don’t pull it from the freezer to the refrigerator days early like you would with beef. Just pull it from the freezer a couple of hours before you want to cook it and put it on the counter. 

http://welovefish.com/

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    We have purchased Salmon from this place at Pike's Market in Seattle - No they don't throw fish around!  We have also purchased from them online. It shipped to us on the east coast and arrived safely.

Price isn't the best way to judge online shopping.  We can get seafood a lot cheaper locally, but the quality is kind of dodgy and the source is suspect.  I would much rather spend the money on a good piece of beef from an online source then a less than choice cut locally.  As for seafood, freshness is foremost in my mind followed quickly by source.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    Sorry, I forgot to include the link:  Pure Food Fish Market
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Do you folks live 1,000 miles or more from the nearest Costco?  The online vendors are priced so exorbitantly, I have no idea how they sell anything to anyone.

Every year, we get the reports of Copper River sockeye going on sale at Pike Place for $25-$30/lb. and next day, we can go to Costco and get filets for $10-$12, depending on the year.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I thought about ordering some from Jonathan Hillstrand. Reasonable priced. www.jaws.fish
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Another vote for Costco. We buy Salmon there about twice/month and have always been very happy with the quality and freshness. They sell an enormous amount of the fish and it is always very fresh. They usually have several varieties - some wild, some farmed, some with or without antibiotics, some with and some without skin.  They also carry other fish depending on what is in season - Halibut, Cod, Tilapia (yucch), Tuna, etc.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    The sockeye from Hillstrand is still $22/lb. delivered, for what Costco sells for $12/ lb. this year, and some years, as little as $10/ lb.  This does not meet my definition of reasonable...