Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

victorinox 8 inch chef and slicing knife.

I'm the world's worst about reading up on things and planning on ordering it and then just put it off forever. I finally got a couple of knifes I've been wanting to pick up for awhile now. I've only got to try the chef so far. I can't believe how well it cuts and how comfortable it is. Talking about bang the the buck.  I may never move up to a nicer knife now. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Victornox normally hit Cook's Illustrated's "Best Buy" rating in all the knife shootouts they do.  
    Sadly they don't fit those of us with big hands.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @Hotch that's where I first seen them. I'm a big fan of that show. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I love my Victorinox knives.  Good pickup.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I bought the chef’s knife for my daughter for Christmas. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I’m a. If fan of reasonably priced knives. Do the job and don’t have to worry about them. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the expensive ones too, but I rarely use them anymore. Maybe if I did two hours of prep work every day like a real chef. Nice knives IMO
  • I have the slicer knife... love it so will you
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • texaswig
    I'm gonna get the santoku next. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Nice looking knife.  Anybody know, where do these rate compared to the white handle Dexters?

Phoenix 
  • texaswig
    @blasting from what I know their just a little bit better than the Dexter's. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Thanks wig.  I'll give one a try.  There looks to be two different handles - same blade?

Phoenix 
  • texaswig
    @blasting I'm not sure. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited January 2018
    I have both of those knifes as well and love them! Might want to pick up a guard for them.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bought those several years ago for use at Eggiest.  They quickly slipped into my go to knifes.  Never have had to sharpen the chefs knife, just hone it before using.  Keeps a good edge.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • texaswig
    edited January 2018
    I can't believe I put off getting these for so long. I'm sure this will be my go to gift for family and friends. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • RRP
    edited January 2018
    RRP said:
    I have both of those knifes as well and love them! Might want to pick up a guard for them.

And I recommend that you buy this 2 stage diamond sharpener to keep these knifes sharp - BTW the recommendation came from Cook's Illustrated! The angle on Asian style knifes is smaller so be sure to select Asian. It keeps mine razor sharp with ease! I typically will take 6 swipes thru each side about once a month.

• texaswig
    Cool thanks @RRP I'll check into that. And some guards also. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • RRP
    texaswig said:
    Cool thanks @RRP I'll check into that. And some guards also. 
    And next time you are in a drugstore pick up one of these small but POWERFUL  stop bleeding kits! No joke - I'm dead serious! That sharp new knife will get you - I KNOW!!! :s

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Victorinox fibrox are great knives.  I’ve owned a set for about 20 years and they are still going strong.  They go in the dishwasher, I cut on plastic boards and they sometime get dropped in the kitchen sink.  I sharpen them about once a year.  A few years ago, I decided to get a set of Sanelli which are similar to Victorinox Fibrox Buy with a slightly larger handle.  I prefer the grip on the Sanelli.

I just pulled the trigger on a few Miyabi 5000MCD 67 Black Ash Japanese knives so the Victorinox will take a well deserved retirement when I receive the Miyabis.

@RRP I have purposefully tried to slowed down when cutting stuff. it's easier to go faster and in the past that's when I cut myself. I do need to get something like that just incase. @paqman those look awesome. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx