Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook Fred Flintstone size Steaks?

Options
These are the thickest bone-in rib eyes I've ever bought, they remind me of the opening for the old cartoon show (1.75 to 2.00 inches thick).  They are for New Years eve. I'm thinking of doing a reverse sear, cooking at 350F for maybe 20 minutes to 125F internal, removing and making the coals red hot for a 1 to 2 minute sear. I'm interested in how others would cook these. I'll be posting more photos after the cook.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Reverse sear.  Yep.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Reverse sear for the win-but I would run the initial cook at no more than about 250*F on the calibrated dome.  Treat 'em like a rib roast and go for the wall-to -wall even finish. Take 'em to within 5-8 *F of your finish temp then sear them off.   Key is the desired finish temp.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    What @lousubcap said. Winner winner. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Reverse sear for the win-but I would run the initial cook at no more than about 250*F on the calibrated dome.  Treat 'em like a rib roast and go for the wall-to -wall even finish. Take 'em to within 5-8 *F of your finish temp then sear them off.   Key is the desired finish temp.  

Gotta go with Cap on this one but will add let the protein rest atleast 20-25mins between the roast and sear   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I’d reverse sear one of them and caveman the other. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @DoubleEgger - great suggestion.  I typically reverse sear any steak greater than about 1 1/4" thick but I also don't feel like waiting around to crank up the LBGE to searing temps.  So my reverse sear is quick-I have a grate from a gifted BGE 3 tier POS (and never have measured the diameter) that fits inside the fire box right on the lump.   With the PSWoo 2-yank the guts, toss in the grate give it a couple of minutes for full fire effect and on goes the protein.  Technically not caveman but a great crust regardless.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Laserlarry
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice, I followed it and the meal was great. It was only 8 degrees outside so I used my flame boss to keep the temperature at 265 F. I cooked them for about 45 minutes until the internal temperature was 128 F. I seared them for about a minute each side after resting for 20 minutes. I checked the tempeature as soon as I brought them inside after the sear, 135F just what I was looking for. Enjoy the pictures. Happy New Year to everyone.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Yessireee!
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Nailed it.  Congrats on bringing it home.  Most eggcellent.
    Happy New Year!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Yes indeed.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @DoubleEgger - great suggestion.  I typically reverse sear any steak greater than about 1 1/4" thick but I also don't feel like waiting around to crank up the LBGE to searing temps.  So my reverse sear is quick-I have a grate from a gifted BGE 3 tier POS (and never have measured the diameter) that fits inside the fire box right on the lump.   With the PSWoo 2-yank the guts, toss in the grate give it a couple of minutes for full fire effect and on goes the protein.  Technically not caveman but a great crust regardless.   
    I have an 8" CI grid that works well, but it's only big enough for one steak. Does a great job though. I just start the cook with it down there, remove the upper grid when the roast is done and throw the meat on for the sear. I have room for a larger grid, but the only larger CI grid I have is too large.

Usually, I just use a CI skillet on the grid, but I have to wait for temp. Worth the wait for the additional maillard. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm old school.  I go hot (500+) about 3" above coals and flip every 1min and 30 sec.  I keep it up till IT is 110.

With that said, you nailed that cook! Nicely done.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin