Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Christmas Goose is Cooked

Options
McFly
McFly Posts: 9
edited December 2017 in Poultry
We decided to try a Christmas goose this year.  It was delicious.

Marinated the bird in buttermilk for 36 hours then dried the bird and let it sit in the fridge overnight.   Rubbed it with butter, garlic, salt and pepper.  

Cooked it spatchcocked, raised, direct at 220 for almost 6 hours with a drip pan.  

The goose gave off a ton of grease.   The grease was used with potatoes (I also saved some to make a roux for gumbo.)  This is what I pulled off the drip pan with 2 hours still to go on the cook.

Sliced the potatoes, mixed them with the grease then stacked in cupcake pans to bake.   375 in oven for 50 minutes.  

Pulled the goose off and sliced.  Almost all the meat came from the breast with just a small portion from the legs.  The leg meat was fattier, almost a steak-like consistency.  

Plated and served

Saved the carcass and cooked it down to make broth for gumbo.   I am cooking two ducks and going to add their meat in to make duck and sausage gumbo with goose broth and roux.   

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That plate looks just divine.
    Stillwater, MN
  • CornfedMA
    Options
    Nice! There are few meals better than well cooked fowl and there is no meal that cannot be made better with rendered duck or goose fat. 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Very nice, I never had goose before.   Great looking potatoes also.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Your cooked goose looks really good!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Looks great!  You never specifically mentioned it, so I will ask: How was the goose?
    I remember my mother made one about 15 years ago, and I was the only one in the family that liked it.  Might need to try one on the egg.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • McFly
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @Sea2Ski It was very good.    We all like dark meat.   But if you have people who only like white meat, it may be too rich.  The legs were great, with great tasting fat.  My kids are 11 and 7 and they also really enjoyed it.   

Between turkey, duck and goose, I prefer duck then goose then turkey.  
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Wow the meat is really dark, almost like beef.  I tried a goose once and got a piece of buckshot in my mouth which turned me off.  Yours looks good however!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Speculating that is domestic, or you are a sniper as there does not appear to be any shot in the body?

beautiful color on the bird and the veg - looks like a glorious meal!
  • McFly
    Options
    @Spaightlabs  I would love to tell you what a great shot it was.   But this one was store bought.  
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
     ;)  They are generally a bit tastier.  

I just sautéed a bunch of breast meat from last weekend and split it with the dogs.   My portion went into  spiralized veg and marinara, theirs was straight out of the pan.   they retrieve it, they get to share it.

Heading out in the AM for mallards and Canadas.