Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas pastrami

Options
I cured a brisket flat for a month and smoked it on the medium with some oak wood. Fantastic. 
I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 

Comments

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Looks fantastic!  Recipe??  I have 6 goose breasts brining right now for some goose pastrami.  I don't have high hopes but we'll see how it turns out.  Plan to take them out of the brine tonight, soak in fresh water for an hour or two and then rub and smoke until internal of 145.  We'll see.....
    XL BGE
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    https://youtu.be/NmemzAHUyWQ

I follow this one exactly. I’ve done a bunch of them and they come out great. 
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    Looks fantastic!  Recipe??  I have 6 goose breasts brining right now for some goose pastrami.  I don't have high hopes but we'll see how it turns out.  Plan to take them out of the brine tonight, soak in fresh water for an hour or two and then rub and smoke until internal of 145.  We'll see.....
    Thats interesting. Please let me know how this turns out. I'll be starting some fresh pheasant sausages soon for the first time. Picking up an 11 lb stuffer today. 
    Pratt, KS
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Wow! That looks good. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Nicely done. We've been using a process with a SV step in there with great results, but yours looks like it turned out great as well. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    Thanks. They come out great! Well worth the time and effort. I won a pitmasters competition in my neighborhood and this was my “chefs choice” I’ve been cooking them for neighbors ever since!
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    SPRIGS said:
    Thats interesting. Please let me know how this turns out. I'll be starting some fresh pheasant sausages soon for the first time. Picking up an 11 lb stuffer today. 
    Got them on now.  Like I said, I don’t have high hopes.  

Top pick is after rinsing them from the brine and sitting in fresh water to remove some of the salt.  Second pic is after applying the rub.  Smoking with oak/pecan until 145. 
    XL BGE
  • CornfedMA
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    MattBTI said:
    SPRIGS said:

Top pick is after rinsing them from the brine and sitting in fresh water to remove some of the salt.  Second pic is after applying the rub.  Smoking with oak/pecan until 145. 
    +1 for me. Love to see a post on this. I’ve got a bunch of goose that I’d like to try and make something other than kielbasa with. 
  • SPRIGS
    Options
    CornfedMA said:
    SPRIGS said:
    MattBTI said:
    SPRIGS said:

+1 for me. Love to see a post on this. I’ve got a bunch of goose that I’d like to try and make something other than kielbasa with. 
    I’ll do a post tomorrow.  I’m interested in the goose kielbasa!!
    XL BGE