Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do 72 year olds use the BGE?

Options
My dad is 72, active, likes (not loves) grilling 1-2x per week in Arizona.  He has a basic gas weber grill, and I'm thinking about getting him the mini.  Will he use it or is it too much "work"?  I have 3 eggs, and am on the fence if he will like it or if it's too high maintenance.  thanks for your thoughts.
L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"

Comments

• Woodchunk
    Options
    Yes, I have the medium and meet your age requirement
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Well, I will in 10 years.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    @RRP clears your bar above. 
    The issue for me would be whether you perceive he would be interested in using it.  Has he expressed appreciation for any BGE food and the process to cook it?  It is not a rig for all outdoor cooks as many don't have the patience to learn or desire to work with charcoal.  
    If you decide to make the leap I would look at a SBGE or MM as he would have more real-estate and cooking options. (Disclaimer- I have a SBGE and it is a hacker.)  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Well, I'm 73.5 myself and have 4 eggs. I use my Large and Small frequently and my Medium occasionally and my Mini when we travel. Are they a hassle? I don't think so!
    The decision should be made based on his aptitude and willingness...I mean my B-I-L wouldn't have the patience and will always just use gas for convenience.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Unless lugging around a bag of charcoal or lifting a platesetter is an issue, I don't think age will have much bearing on whether or not he would use a BGE or simply prefer the status quo. I wouldn't trade my BGE for any other outdoor cooker, but you can get really good results on a gasser, too.
    Stillwater, MN
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    The mini is severely limiting for a first egg. I use my mini very rarely (MM too). Too keep his interest over the toy aspect, I’d recommend the medium as a starter egg. I’m sure smaller egg supporters will flock soon, but they just can’t do what the bigger eggs can. 
  • garthb4903
    Options
    thank you for your comments, I suspect my dad's motivation is just slightly too low to deal with the "extra" time compared to his old gas grill, so I'm going to pass on paying $360 for a mini at the local shop.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:
    Well, I'm 73.5 myself and have 4 eggs. I use my Large and Small frequently and my Medium occasionally and my Mini when we travel. Are they a hassle? I don't think so!
    The decision should be made based on his aptitude and willingness...I mean my B-I-L wouldn't have the patience and will always just use gas for convenience.
    I can’t agree more. If you have willingness to lesrn, the sky is the limit. Retired folks can have a great time with kamado cooking as they have more time for prep and planning if they just have the desire. I say willingness to learn because ceramic cooking is definitely different from gas or kettle charcoal cooking. 

This is can be a great thing for you two to share even if you aren’t located close to each other. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    my dads 75, very active. googles recipes and cooks, but will not touch the egg, its the weber or stove only.  maybe its just too easy to get me to egg the food
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    I'm less than a decade away.
    canuckland
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    In Gas vs Charcoal, for "ease of use", Gas wins.
    If you get him a mini as an addition to the Weber Gas, he may not use the Egg.
    Do you live near him?  If so, lend him one of your Eggs to see if he likes it (if not, then next time he visits you, have him do the cooking :))

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    If you can swing it a medium is more versatile to be an only egg.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    thank you for your comments, I suspect my dad's motivation is just slightly too low to deal with the "extra" time compared to his old gas grill, so I'm going to pass on paying $360 for a mini at the local shop.
    How about this: Give him an egg you would like to have.  :wink:
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • garthb4903
    Options
    @kl8ton good idea, I'll give him the XL, and when he doesn't use it, come down with a trailer and pick it up! #ilikehowyouthink
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm not there yet, am only in my late 60s, but I strongly agree about asking him!  

It isn't whether he's able to do it at 72 -- sure he is!  But we tend to get more set in our ways as we get older, and maybe there's a better way, but if the way we've been doing it for years is working fine for us, we might just prefer to keep doing what works.  So it's whether he WANTS to or not.  If he's happy as clams doing it the way he's used to, and isn't honestly the least bit excited or even interested in learning a new way, don't waste your money and make both of you feel bad!  But if he sees what you're doing on an Egg, and seems interested, invite him to maybe cook something with you on your Egg, and he'll be able to see whether he wants to or not.

Main thing is don't push something unwanted on a 72 y/o guy.  Sure, he'd be able to cook on a Big Green Egg.  The question is whether he wants to or not.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    It could be like the oil less fryer that I received. ????
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    My dad would not have wanted an egg at 72.  He didn't want a gas grill either.  Only a Weber kettle.  Of course, he was pretty set in his ways long before that - and he lived to be 90.  

We learned to embrace his predictability.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I agree that the most important part is if it is something he wants to do. There are some people with no interest in cooking out.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My Dad gave me a passion for grilling at a young age. I recall a picture of him grilling steaks on a charcoal cheapo pan grill out on the sidewalk during a snow storm. But as time and two knee surges pass he has sadly lost a lot of passion do continue that type activit’s, and he’s only in his 70’s. He even recently told me how is does ribs; parboiled and the finished on the Weber gasser. He says they turn out pretty good. I need to make ribs on the Egg for him some day
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've been trying to persuade my Dad to take up charcoal smoking / grilling for years.  He's got some money, but is very frugal.  He'd never buy something like an egg for himself, and wouldn't like me making a big purchase for him.  Last year I offered him a weber kettle, which he declined, but since changed his mind on.  Now he wants to give it a go.  So I got him a premium kettle and added probe ports, slow and seer, remote thermo, and all the accessories he'd never buy himself.  Now he's all excited about it!

I figure my Dad has earned the right to do or not do whatever he wants.  Since we enjoy cooking together, I'm happy he's willing to give something new a try.

Phoenix 
  • Coldspring
    Options
    I am almost 75 and bought a large egg a couple of months ago and my only regret is that I did not buy it years ago. I do agree that you will probably not get him to use something unless he wants to, my SIL  keeps trying to send us on cruse or NY or some other BS, I keep telling him that there is a reason we live in the middle of nowhere but he does not understand.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    It’s a matter of desire not age. 
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    To everyone of the above posters....thank you all for a very enjoyable read....your comments reinforced my belief that most folks are really exceptional human beings.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Bowne1 said:
    My father is 83 and he picked up a Large after seeing my pack last year. For me, cooking on Egg is relaxing. I don’t have to hurry anything and my bride is now used to this. He and my mother (80) have learned to just enjoy cooking all kinds of things in a relaxing way. And yes, the food is awesome as well. 
    That's just an amazing story :)
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    It could be like the oil less fryer that I received. ????
    @Gulfcoastguy, have you tried it?  I have only made turkeys on mine, but they were phenomenal.  bought one for a friend too.  There is a large "big easy" following on a few other forums.  Its voodoo science, but it works..
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    It is the French fry size and it is still in the box.
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    My dad is 72, active, likes (not loves) grilling 1-2x per week in Arizona.  He has a basic gas weber grill, and I'm thinking about getting him the mini.  Will he use it or is it too much "work"?  I have 3 eggs, and am on the fence if he will like it or if it's too high maintenance.  thanks for your thoughts.
    The real question s/b whether he "wants" to try charcoal.
    Also you said he likes, but doesn't love grilling.
    IMO the egg is much more that just a grill. It's true value is when slow cooking.
    If he's on the fence about charcoal get him a Weber kettle. Then get the egg if he likes the Weber type of Q.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I am 78 and love using mine.  I gave my offset away after I got the XL as it was too much trouble. I use the gasser for quick cooks but love the XL for salmon/chicken/pork loins/thick cut pork chops/brisket pulled pork/pizza and etc.   I would also suggest an xl with a FB300 as the FB makes it easier to use for any cooks over an hour or with company visiting and watching football.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Send him a bag of Rockwood for his Weber! :)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM