Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Gen v. 2d Gen MiniMax: What’s the Difference?

Options
My lovely bride got me a MiniMax for Christmas. She picked it up this year from a dealer outside Chicago. Based on the size of the fire ring, I definitely got a first generation MiniMax; BGE apparently changed the size of the fire ring in 2015. (See discussion re fire ring size here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1201003/mini-max-fire-ring-change). Other than the fire ring, any other changes from the first generation to the second generation?

According to my wife, she didn’t get a deal and paid full rack rate for the MiniMax, so the dealer selling outdated inventory at full price is another issue. 
Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
XLBGE, MiniMax BGE

Comments

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Chances are the dealer has and had no idea there was a change. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The handle hardware on the carrier and PS but, these have been, in the past, made available along with the new style fire ring at N/C from HQ. So as to an outdated unit I'd respectfully disagree. Not to mention look at the most recent hinge change on the large and others. Most dealers don't have the luxury of being able to "eat" the old hinge to install the new without doing a RMA stock exchange. The beauty of a free market...whatever the market shall bear. It's not like they screwed you and misrepresented the product. Why shouldn't they sell at full price?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • danguba78
    Options
    I have the old carrier handles as well, so this is definitely old stock/first generation. Based on another thread, there seems to be some variance in outcomes re what HQ will do. I’ll contact them today. They’ve generally been great in every experience I’ve ever had with them, and I hope they’ll make it right. I’ll report back. 

Assuming the dealer knew of the redesign, we'll just have to agree to disagree about the propriety of selling 1G stock two years after 2G comes out, or who, as between the manufacturer, authorized dealer, or consumer, should bear the cost of a redesign and the problem of old stock. 
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    I called HQ with mine and they sent me the new fire ring and the new hardware for the handle without any hassle
    They were great!
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    FWIW, we have not personally gotten any of the negative feedback associated with Gen1 MM’s. You will get the full benefit of the warranty I assume. If you do have an issue, it can easily be resolved. If. Good luck. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    danguba78 said:
    I’ll contact them today. They’ve generally been great in every experience I’ve ever had with them, and I hope they’ll make it right.

This is the right move.  Give them a chance to make you happy.  Then, if you're dissatisfied with their solution, explore alternatives. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I like my 1st Gen. A bit taller height for the Woo and more space for lump. =)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I’m not sure why they changed it up. Might be due to some production issue. It’s not like they don’t perform properly. 
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I’m not sure why they changed it up. Might be due to some production issue. It’s not like they don’t perform properly. 
    I believe it's because the original had a very small air gap between the platesetter and grid. This led to the grid temp being hotter than the dome temp. I've measured this with an IR temp gun on our MM, there's a 15% - 20% discrepancy.

Having a bigger air gap meant that the grid temp and dome temp were much more closely aligned, thus making it the same as the other sizes.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• pgprescott
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I believe it's because the original had a very small air gap between the platesetter and grid. This led to the grid temp being hotter than the dome temp. I've measured this with an IR temp gun on our MM, there's a 15% - 20% discrepancy.

Having a bigger air gap meant that the grid temp and dome temp were much more closely aligned, thus making it the same as the other sizes.
    Makes sense I guess. I’m a fan of the CGS stuff for MM in lieu of PS. FWIW, I routine experience a difference between grid and dome in All eggs   
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Hotch said:

Makes sense I guess. I’m a fan of the CGS stuff for MM in lieu of PS. FWIW, I routine experience a difference between grid and dome in All eggs   
    I get a difference too on the Large, just not a lot when indirect, I can live with that. I'd go for the CGS kit if it was available in the UK. :D

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• danguba78
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    danguba78 said:
    I’ll contact them today. They’ve generally been great in every experience I’ve ever had with them, and I hope they’ll make it right.

This is the right move.  Give them a chance to make you happy.  Then, if you're dissatisfied with their solution, explore alternatives. 

BGE HQ is sending out replacement handles and the correct fire ring.  Once again, I'm thoroughly impressed by their customer service.  (And now I can order my Woo from CGS.)
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    FWIW, we have not personally gotten any of the negative feedback associated with Gen1 MM’s. You will get the full benefit of the warranty I assume. If you do have an issue, it can easily be resolved. If. Good luck. 
    This is very confusing but i have a question i think you may be able to answer.  I have a Gen1 MM.  It came with a PS.  It is still under the three year warranty (the PS) and cracked this weekend.  The dealer i bought from is no longer a dealer.  A new place has opened up nearby and they know very little about eggs.  If i turn in my warranty with them will the new PS i recieve even work with my "old" fire ring?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    It probably would work but would be less than ideal .
  • pgprescott
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    This is very confusing but i have a question i think you may be able to answer.  I have a Gen1 MM.  It came with a PS.  It is still under the three year warranty (the PS) and cracked this weekend.  The dealer i bought from is no longer a dealer.  A new place has opened up nearby and they know very little about eggs.  If i turn in my warranty with them will the new PS i recieve even work with my "old" fire ring?
    If you tell them what you have they should be able to get either one. They make both.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Sounds good, thanks

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015