Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib bones

Options
Did a 6 bone standing rib this afternoon.  Actually had the butcher cut them off and tie back on.   Now have this lovely slab of bone and meat left over.  What are the options I have to put these to good use ?
  1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,794
    Options
    Eat Them !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Eat the meat off them and make beef stock with the bones. 
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    For some reason, I had a feeling I was gonna get a response like that !  Was thinking a big ass pot of vegetable soup was in order !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    For some reason, I had a feeling I was gonna get a response like that !  Was thinking a big ass pot of vegetable soup was in order !
    I assume you left them on the full cook of the roast? If so, I would put them on a low and slow for an hour to bring them back up to temp. You can cut them (my preference) into individual ribs. I would slather them in with a peppery BBQ sauce and allow some carmalization to occur. Lock the doors, and settle in for a private feast. Pro tip, have a roll of paper towels close by....and don’t use the nice cloth / linen napkins your lady has hanging around. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,516
    Options
    Beef back ribs-you are in for a real treat.  Whether they rode along for the roast cook or not, put them on at around 250-260*F (toss in some smoke wood) and go til they pass the tooth-pick test.  If they participated in the roast cook, likely a couple of hours to get there, if they are virgin to the altar then expect 4-5 hours.  They definitely beat their pork cousins.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Yes they were still tied for the cook- have them and probably 4 pounds of roast left over. I’m weighing the options !
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    I like @lousubcap idea.  I'm doing a brisket tomorrow and will do mine alongside. Let us know how it turns out. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Well after making necessary stops at Cabelas and Bass Pro, my daughter decided to make some French dip sandwiches so I shaved up the roast for her and took the ribs and put them in a pan for a half hour sprinkled with some Montreal Steak seasoning.  Turned out great and have one more meal left over.  Grand Slam for all considering range in age of 3 to 87 and some tender mouths.