Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So what have I forgotten?..........1st time Prime Rib

Options
Don't Egg me on
Don't Egg me on Posts: 57
edited December 2017 in EggHead Forum
    So the Wifey bought this for me to prepare for Christmas dinner. I’ve been reading on here and think I have a game plan together...Please let me know what y’all think. 
Looking to keep it simple.
Salting it and letting it dry on a rack in the fridge starting tonight.
Making a paste out of a large onion, olive oil, garlic, and pepper. Will brush on right before it goes on the Egg. 
Going to do indirect (was thinking about NOT using a drip pan) at 220 degrees (BBQ Guru). 
Gonna throw on some Cherry wood chips. 
Pulling it off at 120 IT, let rest uncovered. 

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    My invite
    Snellville, GA

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @RRP Au Jus  Not quite sure what version we're on for that.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Your avatar is pretty awesome.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Haha John I noticed that! bummed because I had a really good pic but it wasn't there when I signed back in. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @RRP Au Jus  Not quite sure what version we're on for that.
    LOL Here's my latest!

RRP's Au Jus Recipe  - Updated version 9-19-17 

1  14 oz Swanson Beef Broth (box – not the can)

1  10-1/2 ounce can of Campbell's French Onion soup

½  of the soup can cold water

1   T Worcestershire sauce

1   teaspoon of garlic salt

1   teaspoon onion powder

1   Wyler’s brand beef bouillon cubes

1   T Better Than Beef Bouillon

1   teaspoon Chings Superior Dark soy sauce

1   teaspoon oyster sauce

Bring ingredients to a boil in saucepan, letting it boil for 1 minute then
    simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Strain and discard onions. strain and discard onions.  Serve au jus dipping sauce hot. Can be made 2
    days ahead.  Makes 3 cups. BTW I also make a batch of this and then pour it into large ice cube trays. Two melted cubes make wonderful Bloody Bull!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Horseradish Sauce is a must.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
     I believe your plan is rock solid.

Personally I would swap the cherry wood for a small chunk of oak for just a kiss of smoke. Oak and beef go hand in hand for me, but that is just my opinion. 

Have an appropriate wine to pair with it? Since I use oak for smoke, I also choose a cab aged in oak as well.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Yes I have the Horseradish! I have a bunch of wine and Family is bringing more. I had some Oak chunks and will look to restock. RRP thanks for the recipe I will look to use it!
    Question; should I use a drip pan and look to use some of the renderings for the Au Jus??
    Thanks for all the feed back!
  • RRP
    Options
    Yes I have the Horseradish! I have a bunch of wine and Family is bringing more. I had some Oak chunks and will look to restock. RRP thanks for the recipe I will look to use it!
    Question; should I use a drip pan and look to use some of the renderings for the Au Jus??
    Thanks for all the feed back!
    I don't catch the drippings since I normally am just searing at a high temp after  the sous vide. Additionally most times my meat has been dry aged so there isn't much moisture to "leak out" anyway.

As for a horseradish - yes that is a must as well. I go simple and use equal parts of prepared horseradish and sour cream with a tad of salt. Mix well and it's best to let it sit for 24 hours.
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    RRP you are the man!
    Thanks again
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @RRP - Love the simplicity of your horseradish sauce recipe.  I will also offer that this Monday since most of the beef consumers don't like straight horseradish.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    @RRP - Dammit Man!! I just bought all of the ingredients for the beef consume version!!! What the hell?

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Some finely chopped rosemary would go nice in that paste I bet 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options

Also first time to “dry age” a piece of meat, so thought I would post a few pics of the process. I placed it in the fridge Thurs 21st at 11pm.
    The Au Jus is made along with the Horseradish sauce. 
  • RRP
    Options

Also first time to “dry age” a piece of meat, so thought I would post a few pics of the process. I placed it in the fridge Thurs 21st at 11pm.
    The Au Jus is made along with the Horseradish sauce. 
    December 21st? Sorry but that hardly will be dry aged beef in that short of a period of time. That chunk-o-cow could have easily gone 28 to 45 days. Whatever you do DON'T trim off any exterior that may appear even slightly dry or dark looking in merely 4 days time.
  • Don't Egg me on
    Don't Egg me on Posts: 57
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I’m only looking to dry the outter surface to get a good crust! Thanks, I won’t cut on it until it comes off the Egg!!
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    That is a fine looking piece of meat!  Following this thread for advice and finished pics =)
  • RRP
    Options
    I’m only looking to dry the outter surface to get a good crust! Thanks, I won’t cut on it until it comes off the Egg!!
    Ok, but crust is more the result of the searing and or the reaction of any rub with the heat than the exterior of the meat being dry.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options

Good looking chunk of meat there. I think it is probably the angle of the shot, but it looks like you have a nice sized cap on that roast.
    You are in for good eats for sure.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Ron with this being 7 lbs, if I shoot for a dome temp of 220 how long would you guess it’ll take to get to an IT of 120?
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Looks good so far, I have an 8lb in the fridge rubbed with beef better than boullion s&p. Will rub with butter and herbs then on the egg at 300 tomorrow. Yours is looking good.

LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Nice Mark, feel free to post some pics! What temp are you shooting for and what IT are you pulling it at?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Here's a great rib roast cook site:  
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html  Give it a read when you have time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    RRP said:
    Ok, but crust is more the result of the searing and or the reaction of any rub with the heat than the exterior of the meat being dry.
    I respectfully disagree on the crust is the result of the sear. I dried about the same weight rib last year for maybe 4 days and cooked at 235-250 until it hit 125° IT and it had an awesome crust.  I guess I need to bump @justinecaseyfeldown prime rib thread , although it’s a little late now 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    I respectfully disagree on the crust is the result of the sear. I dried about the same weight rib last year for maybe 4 days and cooked at 235-250 until it hit 125° IT and it had an awesome crust.  I guess I need to bump @justinecaseyfeldown prime rib thread , although it’s a little late now 
    That's fine! More than one road will get you to perfection that YOU and your family like. I just happen to disagree that 3 or 4 days is anything even close to dry aging beef plus expecting it to produce a wonderful crust the same as a high temperature sear.

BTW Merry Christmas, Matt! 

• thetrim
    Options

Thought I'd throw in a pic of the 12lber I've had in the fridge  since Thursday.  
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    @RRP horseradish sauce is in the fridge and @RRP au jus is in the middle of the 30 min rolling simmer.  @RRP your presence at our Xmas dinner will be a strong one tomorrow.  Thanks for posting those recipes.  My next door neighbor @WhiteyQ made the au jus last year and said it was fantastic!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @RRP horseradish sauce is in the fridge and @RRP au jus is in the middle of the 30 min rolling simmer.  @RRP your presence at our Xmas dinner will be a strong one tomorrow.  Thanks for posting those recipes.  My next door neighbor @WhiteyQ made the au jus last year and said it was fantastic!
    How are you cooking your roast?  My mom just informed me that I am cooking ours on my egg this year.  It is 12lbs. as well.  I haven't cooked a prime rib on egg before.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    thetrim said:

Thought I'd throw in a pic of the 12lber I've had in the fridge  since Thursday.  
    That is a Beast! 
  • thetrim
    Options
    thetrim said:
    How are you cooking your roast?  My mom just informed me that I am cooking ours on my egg this year.  It is 12lbs. as well.  I haven't cooked a prime rib on egg before.  
    @hook_emHornsfan_74    Nothing too fancy.  I have some Hickman Rub I got in the last forum exchange with @Tspud1 .  I'll put that on the outside then coat it w some butter and herbs from the front porch.  Keep the XL at 250-275 (hopefully) then cook it until it hits 120-125 in the middle.  Slice, serve, enjoy.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95