Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When your wife wants a turkey two days before Christmas...

Options
...sometimes a man just has to lay down the law about traditions, who is the boss, and cooking what YOU want to cook. Which spoken aloud sounds similar to “yes, dear”,

Thirteen pound bird, spatchcocked and with Simon and Garfunkel rub. Amazing gow how fast a turkey cooks when spatched. 

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,342
    Options
    Definitely "recognizing right answer when told!"  Great looking bird right there.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Is it juicy? Turkey I had for thanksgiving was dry but it was in an oven 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @g8golfer it turned out well, I wish I had pulled it a bit earlier but time got away from me
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Looks good!! If you get the chance and have the time, Brine it and then spatchcock. It is amazing!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Two days!?  Only takes me 3 hours...
    Options
    Two days!?  Only takes me 3 hours...
    I guess she finally got tired of my wildly inaccurate estimates of when dinner will be ready
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    "Happy wife- happy life....can I ask what temp u cooked at?
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    My sister-in-law gave me a frozen one she got free from work on Tuesday. She asked if I can smoke it for Christmas. I completely forgot about the turkey out in the freezer until this morning. I thawed it in some cold water this morning to help dethaw it. I took it out of the water around noon. I completely forgot about the turkey in the sink until about an hour ago. The turkey has sat in the sink the last 5-6 hours. Probably still good but don't want to risk it. I grabbed a fresh one at Walmart for $1.50lb. I stopped at Sam's Club after Walmart and realized I could have bought one there fresh for .99lb. Dang it! That's what I get for shopping on the last day before Christmas. I lose my mind and forget about the turkey! Oh well. I'll just pretend it's the turkey my sister-in-law got for free and call it good! ;) 

Thanks for the post and inspiration for the turkey!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    tml1230 said:
    "Happy wife- happy life....can I ask what temp u cooked at?
    I was in a rush and didn’t have best temp control, initially got to 425 but most of Cook was 375. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Simon and Garfunkel rub gets 2 thumbs up.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Next time try that puppy at 400 DIRECT
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• littlerascal56
    Options
    2 1/2 hours at 325 and was super moist.  Used 3 chunks of pecan.  It was a 15 # Honeysuckle @$.67/lb from Kroeger. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's a smart man. Only fight the battles worth winning. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Deep fry it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    In-law family debating last evening what to have for "afternoon snack" on Christmas.

After much yelling and debate ( 5 sisters after all), my wife says (with me out of the room), I can cook wings. One sister said, "on the Big Green Egg?". Debate over.

I'm off to buy another round of 50 fresh jumbos. 
    New Albany, Ohio