Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Halved w/ no Skin?

Options
I did a search, but didn't see anything definitive. 

I'm thinking of smoking some chicken...cutting it in half, removing the skin, season & doing indirect at 270ish. 

I normally keep the skin on, and it's good, but my fam doesn't like it. I'm thinking skin off would allow more seasoning on the part they/I will actually eat. 

Any experience with this?
Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Some put seasoning under the skin - then remove it later.  Or why not just get some skinless bone in parts and try those as a test?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • distanceman
    Options
    @Cookbook_Chip
    yeah I suppose I can try under the skin...I can run a test, but I also figured this could be part of the test. Maybe I can do half skin on and half skin off to see? 
    Located Middle GA

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    I LOVE skin of every animal (salmon is a favorite), so I cook everything with it on.  If not super crispy (like smoked chicken) my wife just takes it off her pieces and hands it over.  Everybody's happy!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'd also be inclined to put stuff under the skin. Mix the rub/herbs w. butter, and push a bunch in.

I rarely do skinless. When I do, it is usually marinated in an oil based marinade, and often pounded to cook hot and fast.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Skinless chicken is good.   If your goal is to get them to like chicken with the skin on, don't ever cook it for them.   Try the rub under and on the skin first.

Or just cook them what they like.

And cooking a half chicken or a whole spatchcock will keep the meat more moist than individual parts.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I’ve done this plenty of times making chicken for gumbo. The only things that change is the breast can dry out more without that protective layer and the seasoning feels like it tripled 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • distanceman
    Options
    Awesome thanks all. I ended up rubbing it under the skin. Smoked chicken is good, but I still think I prefer it grilled. Either way, appreciate the input. 
    Located Middle GA