Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to heat a precooked spiral ham?

My family is celebrating Christmas tonight, and I’ve been too busy at work to prepare a proper meal, such as prime rib or turkey.  My wife covered for me by purchasing a precooked spiral ham.

What’s the best way to heat one of these without drying it out?  I have a nasty feeling that most (re)heating methods will really dry this thing out.  Perhaps I should wrap tightly in foil or put it in a dutch oven with a bit of water in it? 

Thanks for your help.  

Comments

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited December 2017
    Not sure where you purchased the ham from, I usually buy from Honey Baked Ham and they recommend that you do not reheat it. Just let it set out a room temp for 20 minutes prior to serving.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    We've had good results setting the Egg up to smoke at 300-350 and warming it up to about 145. A 9 or 10 lb ham will take 2.5 to 3 hours. If you finish early, wrap it in foil and drop it in a cooler just like you would a brisket or a butt.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    In the oven 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    dust with brown sugar and a tiny amount of ground clove. 325 dome sitting in a pan, add juice or coke and or bourbon and baste it when its almost 130, done at 140.  if it has a cut flat side i cook that side down and baste, if it doesnt i lay the spirals down and spin it in the liquid to baste. these are ready to eat as is, so if its looking done before temp get it out
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited December 2017
    dust with brown sugar and a tiny amount of ground clove. 325 dome sitting in a pan, add juice or coke and or bourbon and baste it when its almost 130, done at 140.  if it has a cut flat side i cook that side down and baste, if it doesnt i lay the spirals down and spin it in the liquid to baste. these are ready to eat as is, so if its looking done before temp get it out
    Now I have to go out and buy a spiral cut ham. :)
    Just when I thought the shopping was done
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @fishlessman- all good with the above 'cept the bourbon.  Now if it's truly bottom-shelf then okay  ;)  
    BTW since it is already spiral cut if you go with any liquid enhancements as mentioned (or check out the maple bourbon ham thread now active) get some of it between the slices.  Really brings home the flavor profiles.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    lousubcap said:
    @fishlessman- all good with the above 'cept the bourbon.  Now if it's truly bottom-shelf then okay  ;)  
    BTW since it is already spiral cut if you go with any liquid enhancements as mentioned (or check out the maple bourbon ham thread now active) get some of it between the slices.  Really brings home the flavor profiles.  FWIW-
    i cook with makers bourbon and drink rye. bourbon is too sweet for me, especialy makers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    @fishlessman - give a non-wheat mash bill bourbon a go.  It is definitely a different taste.  Reasonable price point if you are so inclined is Four Roses Small Batch.  Sounds like a personal Christmas present.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Microwave :tongue:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Lots of different ways to reheat and most would be fine. My recommendation is to avoid any extra sweetness. Room temp is great but it will take more than 20 minutes, more like an hour.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    I did one without a drip pan and it must have taken three or four clean burns over a month or so to get the grease off the fire ring. Oven works good. This thing is already cooked.
    Cooking on the coast
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited December 2017
    I would go with the path of least resistance and heat it in the oven per instructions. There's really nothing to be gained by reheating it on the Egg unless you want to add a touch more smoke.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I set my green egg for 250, let it smoke for about an hour then wrap in foil with some sprite till about 125. You can eat it out of the package so no need to take it to 140 imo. Cook one every year since I was a kid. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    from honeybaked ham...

If using a conventional oven, cover the entire ham (or portion to be used) and heat at 275 degrees F for about 10 minutes per pound. Place a shallow pan with water on the rack below the ham for additional moisture.

Room temp is good but warm is better imho
  • Little late to the party, but I cooked one a few weeks ago. Spiral slice on egg. Cooked 275 dome temp, wrapped in foil, left a little opening at top.  Used Apple and oak wood. Wife and friends all agreed, one of the best tasting hams we ever had. 
    Madison, AL
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I'm sorry but some times I just can't stop myself! a heat source Merry Christmas.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    No one mentioned @egret ham?  :o:o
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcap
    Welcome around @Chubbs.  I actually did as it is a winner.  But sometimes I perhaps expect a bit...Having been around the block a few times, I did mention that ham as evidenced here:  "BTW since it is already spiral cut if you go with any liquid enhancements as mentioned (or check out the maple bourbon ham thread now active)."
    Here's the specific link- Maple-Bourbon Ham 
    Glad you are here and wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year-

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    So how’d did you do it? 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Paging @Mickey

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    caliking said:
    Paging @Mickey
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the first 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

Several years ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: lots of Sugar Maple wood. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.
    New item: just did spiral ham and turned out fine. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    lousubcap said:
    Welcome around @Chubbs.  I actually did as it is a winner.  But sometimes I perhaps expect a bit...Having been around the block a few times, I did mention that ham as evidenced here:  "BTW since it is already spiral cut if you go with any liquid enhancements as mentioned (or check out the maple bourbon ham thread now active)."
    Here's the specific link- Maple-Bourbon Ham 
    Glad you are here and wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year-

Thanks! Been checking in on you guys from time to time. My eggin Time has taking a big hit with work but still eggin every chance I get. Merry Christmas and happy new year to you
    too
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The one and most important part of reheating the Spiral Ham is to tie it up tight so the slices do not open up. Wrap it up tight in foil and add some 7up or Sprite to it before you close the foil. They have a tendency to dry out if not tied and covered. The slices just open up and you end up with a dry slice of Ham.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Mickey said:
    caliking said:
    Paging @Mickey
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the first 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

Several years ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: lots of Sugar Maple wood. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.

Agree. It’s hard to beat the taste of unadulterated ham. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Mickey said:
    caliking said:
    Paging @Mickey
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

And you know it has to be good if @Mickey cooks anything below 350-400°. Lol.   No joke this is how I’ve been doing my hams since reading it hear.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    I would go with the path of least resistance and heat it in the oven per instructions. There's really nothing to be gained by reheating it on the Egg unless you want to add a touch more smoke.

X2. I am considering doing one for Easter and all you're doing is reheating it.....might as well use the oven.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"