Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help! 22 Pound Ribeye Roast

Bert2015
Bert2015 Posts: 50
24 people for Christmas Eve. Was able to secure a very nice, but huge ribeye roast. Just weighed it, 22 pounds, and that’s boneless. Could roast in oven but where’s the fun in that. I’ve read just about every discussion on here but haven’t seen one on how to handle this monster. Any of you experts have some advice?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Once the length exceeds the diameter the size makes no difference.  There are several current threads that offer good info that you can scale for your cook.  
    Here's one:  Prime Rib Roast  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    How long is that?  What size egg do you have?
  • Have cooked a 20# one on a pellet grill. For on my BGE, i prefer to cut those big ones in half.  Fit's the grate better.  I used my Milwaukee sawzall w/new blade and cut one completely frozen a while back.  Then I put half back in deep freeze, and thawed the other half for 5 days in refrigerator.
  • I have the large egg. I think it will fit but will be snug
  • I’ve read some threads that say unwrap and let dry in fridge for at least a few days. Maybe put salt on it.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Sounds like a tight fit for a large, but I am sure it can be done, especially if you have 2 tiers. You are just going to have to take some measurements before cutting.

As for drying - yes, start drying that puppy ASAP for a good crust. You are not going to get the benefits of dry aging at this point, but you will get a better crust.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Put half in the egg and half in the oven.  See what people like better.  

Run your egg as low as you can with good smoke.  If you can get down to 220, should take like 2-3 hours to cook to 120F.  

I wouldn't add smoke wood because I like the flavor of PR as unadulterated as possible.  But nothing wrong with some smoke flavor.
    I did a much smaller version with a prime rib rub (salt, celery seed, sugar, black pepper, onion, garlic and arrowroot) and roasted it with a lump or two of pecan. The smoke flavor was sweet and mild. Don't overdo it. Mine tasted "rustic" as opposed to smoked.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I am happy to help consume it. Just let me know wher and when.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    I wanna see a picture. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Picked up a 12'er at the Fresh market today.  Currently sitting alone, uncovered, on a rack in the back and front of my garage fridge.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95