Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Remote Thermometer

Getting the hang of the BGE thing I have another question about it that I will put in another discussion.  But for this one has anyone mastered the BGE Remote Thermometer?  I thought I was pretty technically savvy but this thing may be a bit too much for me.  Getting the settings to "FOOD", and then changing the TASTE to RARE or WELL DONE  and then its communication has been more than frustrating.  The directions are pitiful or as has been said, "The toughest job in Japan is writing instructions that Americans can follow".
Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.

Comments

• scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Can't help with the BGE remote, but Thermoworks Smoke may still be on sale.  Very intuitive, haven't had to open the manual yet.  I spent enough on remote thermos to buy a couple Smokes before finally wising up.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited December 2017
    Invest in a Smoke or Fireboard. I haven't used the Fireboard, but hear good things about it. I love my smoke.

https://goo.gl/Yvsxhq

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Has anyone used a Lavatools CL1?
    I'm thinking of getting one of these. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    You need to make sure the correct unit is turned on first. I think it’s the remote unit turned on first followed by the monitoring unit. It is opposite of what you would think. Once it’s linked up , it works great. Also, I take the batteries out and turn them around cuz they tend to drain if left in. It’s like it doesn’t turn off. Doesn’t it read out temps? Mine does. I don’t use those charts. They tend to be quite a bit off out of designed caution. 
  • @pgprescott I thought I was the only one who had to turn the batteries around! Haha. Yeah not the most intuitive but not too bad once you get the hang of it. Though I just bought a smobot so...might not need the Maverick anymore. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • pgprescott
    @pgprescott I thought I was the only one who had to turn the batteries around! Haha. Yeah not the most intuitive but not too bad once you get the hang of it. Though I just bought a smobot so...might not need the Maverick anymore. 
    Yeah, I still don’t know why it won’t power off, but oh well. I use mine in conjunction with an old Party Q and I love it. Only use a few times a year though. 
  • OK it sounds like nobody likes this thing.  In Egg Euphoria I had purchased it.  So I have $75 down the drain.  I hear good things about the more expensive doohickies.

• What is a smobot?

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Didn't know BGE sold such a device, but then, I haven't been to a dealer since I bought my egg in 2009. I assume it's a green Maverick? I have an 8 year old Mav that I didn't need and almost never use. Also have a DigiQ that I used to use for overnite cooks. Now that I've started doing "lo n slo" cooks at 320° (from 250), I don't even use that any more. Start the cook at 9-10 AM and it's done by dinner time. No toys required.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Driller said:
    What is a smobot?

Smobot is temperature control device that is installed on the metal top.  It doesn’t use a fan to stoke the coals like a guru, stoker, or flame boss.  I don’t have one so you can probably get a better description from their site: http://www.smobot.com/
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • pgprescott
    @pgprescott I thought I was the only one who had to turn the batteries around! Haha. Yeah not the most intuitive but not too bad once you get the hang of it. Though I just bought a smobot so...might not need the Maverick anymore. 
    Yeah, I still don’t know why it won’t power off, but oh well. I use mine in conjunction with an old Party Q and I love it. Only use a few times a year though. 
    Why would @GrillSgt flag this OT? Hmm? It’s right on topic. The topic is the two probe BGE remote thermo. Hmm? 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Why would @GrillSgt flag this OT? Hmm? It’s right on topic. The topic is the two probe BGE remote thermo. Hmm? 

Probably errant.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    I have to press and hold the power button on each for 5 seconds until each unit will turn off.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • pgprescott
    Logger said:
    I have to press and hold the power button on each for 5 seconds until each unit will turn off.
    The base unit I believe I can shut off, but even when it appears as though it’s off the remote unit drains the batteries. I just turn them around. Weird. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Flag what? How do you know when something is flagged?
  • Driller said:
    OK it sounds like nobody likes this thing.  In Egg Euphoria I had purchased it.  So I have $75 down the drain.  I hear good things about the more expensive doohickies.

This sounds sort of like the maverick I have. It's a pita to set up, too many buttons to push. So, what I did was to keep the probes in the same plug ins all the time and set each one with a very high and low temp and turn the alarm off. This way for each cook I use it all I have to do is insert the probes, turn it on and that's it.