Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Alcohol Intake

Options
Eoin
Eoin Posts: 4,304
My doctor told me this morning that the recommended MAXIMUM intake is 14 units per week.  A bottle of red is 8 units, 1oz of whiskey at 40% is a little over 1 unit.

Is there a standard medical recommendation in the USA as well?  Anyone under?

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,294
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Canada's low-risk alcohol consumption guidelines state: "To reduce long-term health risks, Canada's Low-Risk Alcohol Drinking Guidelines recommend: No more than 10 drinks a week for women, with no more than 2 drinks a day most days. No more than 15 drinks a week for men, with no more than 3 drinks a day most days."

For me, the incentive to drink less is largely driven by my weight. For example, 3 beers a day is roughly 450 calories, which is roughly equivalent to an additional meal per day. 

For those who do drink frequently and want to lose weight, eliminate your weekday consumption. You will save all of those calories and, as a by product, will also likely end up consuming less alcohol on weekends. You may also reduce or eliminate unhealthy food choices which can be prompted by inebriation.

Apart from consisting of empty calories, I have read that alcohol reduces your body's synthesis of protein, thereby minimizing the effect of healthy food choices. 

Finally, alcohol can be expensive. 

Lots of reasons to consume in moderation.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The standard recommendation in the US is similar to both mentioned: 2 drinks per day for men, 1 for women. A drink being a beer, a glass of wine(4oz), or a shot of liquor(1.5oz). I'm probably under the limit. Don't have much time to drink more than 1 of whatever with work, parenting, and studying. 

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Geez.... I need help !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    my doctor told me not to worry about it and im around ten a day during the week, weekends i dont count =) thats for about 40 years now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I've been over that limit for a long time. On the wagon now so we'll see how that works out. Feeling good and sleeping better.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    The standard recommendation in the US is similar to both mentioned: 2 drinks per day for men, 1 for women. A drink being a beer, a glass of wine(4oz), or a shot of liquor(1.5oz). I'm probably under the limit. Don't have much time to drink more than 1 of whatever with work, parenting, and studying. 

What are you studying? Do you already have a BSN?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I've got a head start on 2019.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I am definitely well over any recommended limit above.  Annual physical blood work is all fine.  And "life's too short to drink light/lite beer."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    johnnyp said:

Getting my BSN. Then it's on to grad school.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    In the US the guidelines are not quite as restrictive. As Eggcelsior pointed out they just count drinks not "units". It looks like in the UK a unit is 10 ml of alcohol which is .34 oz. In the US a "drink" is .6 oz so it is nearly double. 

I am typically over the US guidelines and would crush the UK guidelines. Your 14 units is a football game that goes into overtime. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I fix really large drinks....keeps my intake down and fits well within the proper dosage.....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I’m well under the guidelines even if it were for three months. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yeah, back in the days when I drank lots of red wine I had a couple glasses they held @ 3/4 of a bottle. I would only have a couple glasses a night. Got to keep it under control. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    johnnyp said:

Getting my BSN. Then it's on to grad school.

cool.  Is your goal NP-C?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    I have always been told that alcohol is the reason for all things.
    Either too much or not enough that is!
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    I don't drink any more.

And I don't drink any less ;)

So after 2 bourbons, a couple of fingers each, I've already used roughly 10 units?...I'm failing
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• OhioEgger
    Options
    I fix really large drinks....keeps my intake down and fits well within the proper dosage.....

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Seems a little funny to me to request medical recommendations (especially regarding drinking) from a bbq forum.    I'd check Mayo Clinic or WebMD.

Probably safer to just do the opposite of whatever you read on this thread!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    “Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment."
    Gittin' there...
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I know more old drunks than old doctors so us drunks must be living right.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    What is the first thing the nurse does before they give you a injection?  Thats right, rubs the spot with alcohol.  I figure if it's good enought for the outside it fine on the inside. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I'm way over those tiny limits. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "Alcohol guidelines are there to drive a truck through" - a great American, probably.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Buddy of mine beer bonged a fifth of 100 proof SoCo.  Glory Days.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Focker said:
    Hans61 said:
    Buddy of mine beer bonged a fifth of 100 proof SoCo.  Glory Days.  =)
    Chugging hard liquour is never a good idea. Truth be told, I've almost witnessed a few friends' deaths this way (i.e., pounding 26 ouncers) . Thank God for stomach pumps and for the medical professionals operating them. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Beer bong + JD was how I learned to operate a boat.  Friend killed 12oz+ of JD.  He passed out about 20 minutes later while we were in the middle of the lake.  I cruised the rest of us around the lake for a few hours.  Then managed to find his truck keys, back his trailer in the water, load the boat, and get back to camp ground before he woke up.  Man was he confused when he woke up on the ground at the campsite.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Randall_Lee
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Seems a little funny to me to request medical recommendations (especially regarding drinking) from a bbq forum.    I'd check Mayo Clinic or WebMD.

Probably safer to just do the opposite of whatever you read on this thread!
    You got a good point!!! If you didn't like the answer join a Fl fishing forum and ask the same ??? These folks are easy on you.

Niceville, Fl