Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Pellet Grill Owners Enter—At Own Risk of Shame!

2»

Comments

• I bought this us make treager second hand about 8 years ago.  I fixed it up a little, new control head and hotrod.  I used it all the time before I got my egg and still use it once in a while. I have only had to replace the hotrod one other time.  My brother has a newer one and he has had good luck with his.  They do not produce near the smoke the egg does.  Like another guy said think smoking oven.  I like having options and it works great for sides. As far as cooking in cold weather goes, I cook in mine all winter. I have it in a garbage can storage shed so its well protected.  Cooking temps are a little lower when its below 20 degrees outside, but I rarely cook above 350 with it.  I would cover it some how.

Medium BGE, Large KJ, 22 Backstone, vintage U.S. made Treager, 

Sioux Falls SD

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    To achieve a good smoke profile one must leave the cooker on the lowest setting @180 maybe for N hour or so, Then bump the temps.  Also a smoke tube by Amazin can be added to the grill surface to increase smoke. I’ve found from personal experience that simply starting the cooks at the lowest setting is more than sufficient for my taste. 
  • We were in a similar situation and we were really looking at a green mountain grill or a Yoder. 

We went a different direction in the end but they were the top picks. 

Steve
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    What about a new wife?

Joking of course. 

And start over with a new level set of crazy to work through again?!

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    A friend of mine swears by his Yoder640 Pellet grill.   Myself...I'm most likely going to add one of these after I make the big move.

https://yodersmokers.com/charcoal24x48.html
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I have a Cookshack FEC 120. It is not a combo grill/smoker. It is only for indirect smoking. I really like it and the smoke profile is good also. It never smokes in the danger zone of white acrid smoke.
    For pork butts, I smoke at 180 Deg for 12 hrs and then shift to 250 Deg for the final run up to 198 Deg internal meat temp. I use the A-Maze-N smoke tube and I also have the Cookshack smoke enhancer that sits on top of the pellet burner. Total cook time is around 18 hrs for 8-9 # butts.
    It's amazing to look out over the back yard and see an enormous cloud of thin blue smoke. This smoke cloud last for the entire cook time. It keeps the neighborhood in a constant state of hunger. I always throw on a few extra butts to feed the unclean masses.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    billt01 said:
    What about a new wife?

Joking of course. 

And start over with a new level set of crazy to work through again?!

Maybe he could shack up with his buddy Gravy.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Just a suggestion...I of looking at a pellet grill consider a Blackstone griddle.  The flattop compliments the Egg and is great for quick cooks as well.  We use ours several times a week, especial in the winter.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • I have never knowing had food made off a pellet cooker. But I have a neighbor who has a Traeger pellet grill.  I took him and his wife pulled pork and ribs from my BGE a few times.  His response "I wish I could make my food taste as good as what you do on your egg."  I thought that was high praise for the BGE.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    I am a Traeger dealer, in fact the distributor in Hays that @littlerascal56 spoke about is our distributor. The most recent models are a step up from the previous generation. They are a little heavier built. I have to agree what @littlerascal56 said about the pros and cons. 
    Pratt, KS
  • GrillSgt said:
    I like the egg because I don't like overly smoky tasting food. Which is what I generally get at friends with pellet smokers. 
    @GrillSgt that’s kinda what I was wondering. I’m not a lover of heavy smoked food, most people on reviews complained of not enough smoke which is why I am considering but like I said, I’ve never used one. 

@stlcharcoal @cookingdude555 @DoubleEgger @nolaegghead @epcotisbest @JefCB01 @hotch thanks for the suggestions. Time to do some research. 

@cookingdude555 I should have clarified that in the title. I’m looking more for an outside oven than a “grill”. I can have the Minimax ready to grill in 10 minutes. 
    Take a look at the pellet smokers from Pitts & Spitts in Houston, TX - http://pittsandspitts.com/pellet-grills/
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    You sure you are on your intended forum? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited December 2017
    You sure you are on your intended forum? 
    Robin you know I don’t cheat with y’all with other forums. 

Consider this an open conversation on a 3-Some. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    We have the Camp Chef Woodwind with side sear box. Works great and you control the amount of smoke you get. Also, ****'s Sporting Goods has a great price on the pellets, at least the one in our area does. We stocked up on them when we got the Woodwind. We wanted one for the convenience, however, I also believe nothing beats the flavor of food from the egg. That being said, it's nice to plug it in, set it and let it do it's thing.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    I've had a pellet grill longer than I've had my kamados and still use the pellet grill almost exclusively all Winter, due to it being on my covered porch.  No need to shovel snow to access the grill.  Mine is a GMG Jim Bowie and has been trouble free since the 1st week of ownership, after replacing a defective igniter rod, due to a bad batch.

The quality of 'Q coming from any of my cookers is pretty darn good and is little affected by my choice of cooker.  I know I could make good food over a hole in the ground filled with good hardwood.  The enclosures and controllers just make it easier and less time consuming.

Back to the OP, were I looking for a PG in your circumstance today, I'd look at the Firecraft Q-450, stainless build, direct grill option and on sale for $799 shipped right now, $200 off for Christmas season.  At that price, I'd buy one, but my GMG refuses to slow down, much less die.

I'll be back to my  kamados as soon as the snow melts and I can sit outside with them, enjoying an adult beverage or 3...